* MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-01-31  7:42 cschr
From: cschr @ 2016-01-31  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi

I set up MobileOrg and it now shows the appointments from my emacs diary and
my orgmode agenda. But nothing shows in my local android calendar, although
I configured MobileOrg to sync with the android calendar. Is this
functionality known to work, at all, and are there any special preconditions
?   I tried with two different smartphones - a Sony Xperia Pro with Android
4.0.4, and a Mobistel Cygnus with Android 4.4.2

Many thanks

Regards - Chris

* Re: MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-01-31 12:36 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-01-31 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cschr; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 08:42, cschr wrote:
> Hi
>
> I set up MobileOrg and it now shows the appointments from my emacs
> diary and my orgmode agenda. But nothing shows in my local android
> calendar, although I configured MobileOrg to sync with the android
> calendar. Is this functionality known to work, at all, and are there
> any special preconditions ?   I tried with two different smartphones
> – a Sony Xperia Pro with Android 4.0.4, and a Mobistel Cygnus with
> Android 4.4.2

It syncs with my calendar on cyanogenmod latest nightly snapshot on a
Nexus 4.  I've had no issues in this regard in a very long time.

I think what I am using is roughly equivalent to android 5.1?  Not
entirely sure however but definitely well past 4.x versions.  Whether
this is relevant or not is unclear!
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.50.1, Org release_8.3.3-497-gc74b99

* Re: MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-01-31 15:13   ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2016-01-31 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, cschr

On Sun, 31-01-2016, at 13:36, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 08:42, cschr wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I set up MobileOrg and it now shows the appointments from my emacs
>> diary and my orgmode agenda. But nothing shows in my local android
>> calendar, although I configured MobileOrg to sync with the android
>> calendar. Is this functionality known to work, at all, and are there
>> any special preconditions ?   I tried with two different smartphones
>> – a Sony Xperia Pro with Android 4.0.4, and a Mobistel Cygnus with
>> Android 4.4.2
>>

> It syncs with my calendar on cyanogenmod latest nightly snapshot on a
> Nexus 4.  I've had no issues in this regard in a very long time.

It has also worked for me for a long time in several tablets/phones. Right
now it is working on two tablets (BQ edison 3 and Nexus 7) with stock
android 4.4 and a phone with stock android 5. It has worked in the past
with Android 4.1.

> I think what I am using is roughly equivalent to android 5.1?  Not
> entirely sure however but definitely well past 4.x versions.  Whether
> this is relevant or not is unclear!

--
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25
Facultad de Medicina
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
Arzobispo Morcillo, 4
28029 Madrid
Spain

Phone: +34-91-497-2412

Email: rdiaz02@gmail.com
       ramon.diaz@iib.uam.es

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz

* Re: MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-02-01 11:11 ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-02-01 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* cschr <cschr@freenet.de> wrote:

> I set up MobileOrg and it now shows the appointments from my emacs diary and
> my orgmode agenda. But nothing shows in my local android calendar, although
> I configured MobileOrg to sync with the android calendar. Is this
> functionality known to work, at all, and are there any special preconditions
> ?   I tried with two different smartphones - a Sony Xperia Pro with Android
> 4.0.4, and a Mobistel Cygnus with Android 4.4.2

Contrary to many mentions on the mailinglist, this feature never
worked at my side as well:

Nexus 5 with CyanogenMod 12.1-20150808-NIGHTLY-hammerhead (Android
5.1.1)

Current situation: in MobileOrg settings, I want to choose a
calendar which gets populated by MobileOrg. In the list of available
calendars I can choose whatever calendar I want but afterwards,
MobileOrg shows "Org" (the default one) as the selected calendar.

Maybe it has something to do with my disabled sync settings: I don't
sync to the Google cloud.

I gave up and use MobileOrg mainly for capturing and (seldom)
browsing my Org files for information.

--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github

* Re: MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-02-01 12:02   ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2016-02-01 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 12:11, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:
> * cschr <cschr@freenet.de> wrote:
>>
>> I set up MobileOrg and it now shows the appointments from my emacs diary and
>> my orgmode agenda. But nothing shows in my local android calendar, although
>> I configured MobileOrg to sync with the android calendar. Is this
>> functionality known to work, at all, and are there any special preconditions
>> ?   I tried with two different smartphones - a Sony Xperia Pro with Android
>> 4.0.4, and a Mobistel Cygnus with Android 4.4.2
>
> Contrary to many mentions on the mailinglist, this feature never
> worked at my side as well:

Hummm... I am just looking at the config in my phone (with Android 5). I
have checked "Synchronize with calendar". The calendar name is set to
"org-calendar" (I think that is the default, since I do not recall ever
having changed/set it). Under "Advanced" I set "Assimilate calendar
entries" (this I find very useful for the odd case when i enter things in
the android calendar directly).  I have NOT checked "Delete on
assimilation".

> Nexus 5 with CyanogenMod 12.1-20150808-NIGHTLY-hammerhead (Android
> 5.1.1)

I do not understand why the following is leading to trouble, so I think I
am seriously misunderstanding something.

> Current situation: in MobileOrg settings, I want to choose a
> calendar which gets populated by MobileOrg.

I do not recall ever having to do anything especial here.

> In the list of available calendars

You mean the list that is available when you try to set the options under
"Calendar name"?

I see there six entries (one for my gmail user, one for "PC Sync" that I
have no idea what it is, then "org-calendar", a fourth called "Cumpleaños"
[birthdays] and then "Holidays in Spain" and a sixth one which seems to be
the same but in Spanish).

> I can choose whatever calendar I want but afterwards, MobileOrg shows
> "Org" (the default one) as the selected calendar.

If I understand correctly, this is used by MobileOrg to place its entries
in a calendar that the Android calendar will use. When the entries are
displayed in your Android calendar, you'll see these as coming from "Org"
(or mobile-org).

Why would you not want to set it to "Org"?

> Maybe it has something to do with my disabled sync settings: I don't
> sync to the Google cloud.

Aha, I think this is probably needed. I think I only get entries updated if
I enable syncing of the calendar (but you can decide what you sync with
google --- no need to sync everything, from email to contacts to ....).

@ 2016-02-01 13:20     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-02-01 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

btw, MobileOrg Android v0.9.13

* Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 12:11, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:
>>
>> Contrary to many mentions on the mailinglist, this feature never
>> worked at my side as well:
>
> Hummm... I am just looking at the config in my phone (with Android 5). I
> have checked "Synchronize with calendar".

Check.

> The calendar name is set to "org-calendar" (I think that is the
> default, since I do not recall ever having changed/set it).

Mine is "Org". But in my calendar app, there is no "Org" calendar,
just three others.

> Under "Advanced" I set "Assimilate calendar entries" (this I find
> very useful for the odd case when i enter things in the android
> calendar directly).  I have NOT checked "Delete on assimilation".

Same here.

> I do not understand why the following is leading to trouble, so I think I
> am seriously misunderstanding something.
>
>> Current situation: in MobileOrg settings, I want to choose a
>> calendar which gets populated by MobileOrg.
>
> I do not recall ever having to do anything especial here.
>
>> In the list of available calendars
>
> You mean the list that is available when you try to set the options under
> "Calendar name"?

Yes.

> I see there six entries (one for my gmail user, one for "PC Sync" that I
> have no idea what it is, then "org-calendar", a fourth called "Cumpleaños"
> [birthdays] and then "Holidays in Spain" and a sixth one which seems to be
> the same but in Spanish).

I do have three entries, non of them named "Org".

Whenever I choose an existing calendar within MobileOrg preferences,
it stays at the non-existing "Org" calendar. I guess this is the
reason why there is no data sync to my calendar.

>> I can choose whatever calendar I want but afterwards, MobileOrg shows
>> "Org" (the default one) as the selected calendar.
>
> If I understand correctly, this is used by MobileOrg to place its entries
> in a calendar that the Android calendar will use. When the entries are
> displayed in your Android calendar, you'll see these as coming from "Org"
> (or mobile-org).

Exactly.

> Why would you not want to set it to "Org"?

I don't have an existing "Org" calendar and I could not figure out
how to create it in my calendar app and MobileOrg obviously doesn't
create it on its own.

>> Maybe it has something to do with my disabled sync settings: I don't
>> sync to the Google cloud.
>
> Aha, I think this is probably needed. I think I only get entries updated if
> I enable syncing of the calendar (but you can decide what you sync with
> google --- no need to sync everything, from email to contacts to ....).

OK, then MobileOrg -> Calendar feature is of no use to me since I
avoid the Google cloud.

That's really weird since this feature is especially useful to
people not having Google Cloud sync activated.

>> I gave up and use MobileOrg mainly for capturing and (seldom)
>> browsing my Org files for information.

OK, at least I got a confirmation that MobileOrg needs this cloud
sync stuff. How unfortunate.

--

@ 2016-02-01 14:18       ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2016-02-01 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 14:20, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:

(I remove lots of stuff from previous thread)

>> The calendar name is set to "org-calendar" (I think that is the
>> default, since I do not recall ever having changed/set it).
>
> Mine is "Org". But in my calendar app, there is no "Org" calendar,
> just three others.

No idea why that happens.

>> I see there six entries (one for my gmail user, one for "PC Sync" that I
>> have no idea what it is, then "org-calendar", a fourth called "Cumpleaños"
>> [birthdays] and then "Holidays in Spain" and a sixth one which seems to be
>> the same but in Spanish).
>
> I do have three entries, non of them named "Org".
>
> Whenever I choose an existing calendar within MobileOrg preferences,
> it stays at the non-existing "Org" calendar. I guess this is the
> reason why there is no data sync to my calendar.

No idea what is happening there.

>>> Maybe it has something to do with my disabled sync settings: I don't
>>> sync to the Google cloud.
>>
>> Aha, I think this is probably needed. I think I only get entries updated if
>> I enable syncing of the calendar (but you can decide what you sync with
>> google --- no need to sync everything, from email to contacts to ....).
>
> OK, then MobileOrg -> Calendar feature is of no use to me since I
> avoid the Google cloud.
>
> That's really weird since this feature is especially useful to
> people not having Google Cloud sync activated.
>
>>> I gave up and use MobileOrg mainly for capturing and (seldom)
>>> browsing my Org files for information.
>
> OK, at least I got a confirmation that MobileOrg needs this cloud
> sync stuff. How unfortunate.

I am not 100% sure if syncing the calendar with google is _required_. I'll
try playing with it ASAP and report back.

--

@ 2016-02-01 16:35         ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2016-02-01 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 14:20, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:
>
>>> The calendar name is set to "org-calendar" (I think that is the
>>> default, since I do not recall ever having changed/set it).
>>
>> Mine is "Org". But in my calendar app, there is no "Org" calendar,
>> just three others.
>
> No idea why that happens.
>
>> Whenever I choose an existing calendar within MobileOrg preferences,
>> it stays at the non-existing "Org" calendar. I guess this is the
>> reason why there is no data sync to my calendar.
>
> No idea what is happening there.

Okay. A little bit confused now:

When I checked MobileOrg a couple of minutes ago, I did see some
(not all!) Org-mode events for the first time. Only scheduled
things, no events with time-slots. I did not check any further.

I recognized, that MobileOrg settings is showing me the previously
selected existing calendar.

In calendar, I noticed that sync was activated. Grrrrr. I hate it,
when something silently leaks my private data to the public cloud!

After I disabled the sync-checkboxes for my three calendars, the
Org-mode events were gone again.

Quite disappointing, the whole story.

--

@ 2016-02-01 20:31       ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2016-02-01 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 1, 2016 5:21 AM, "Karl Voit" <devnull@karl-voit.at> wrote:

> btw, MobileOrg Android v0.9.13
>
> * Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 12:11, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:

<snip>

> >> Maybe it has something to do with my disabled sync settings: I don't
> >> sync to the Google cloud.
> >
> > Aha, I think this is probably needed. I think I only get entries
updated if
> > I enable syncing of the calendar (but you can decide what you sync with
> > google --- no need to sync everything, from email to contacts to ....).
>
> OK, then MobileOrg -> Calendar feature is of no use to me since I
> avoid the Google cloud.

<snip>

> OK, at least I got a confirmation that MobileOrg needs this cloud
> sync stuff. How unfortunate.

I use an app (from the Play Store) called Offline Calendar. It makes Google
calendars that do not sync. I have mobile org write to a calendar it
creates and never sync calendars on my phone or tablet. It works on my
nexus 7 and my Moto G. It also worked on the Nexus 4 and an ancient 2.x
Android Samsung phone.

Best,

Brian vdB

* Re: MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-02-02 15:43         ` Bingo UV
From: Bingo UV @ 2016-02-02 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 12:31:33 -0800
Brian van den Broek <brian.van.den.broek@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use an app (from the Play Store) called Offline Calendar. It makes
> Google calendars that do not sync. I have mobile org write to a
> calendar it creates and never sync calendars on my phone or tablet.
> It works on my nexus 7 and my Moto G. It also worked on the Nexus 4
> and an ancient 2.x Android Samsung phone.
>
> Best,
>
> Brian vdB

Yes, I just want to chip in here and say that synchronizing with the
google cloud is not necessary at all for mobileorg calendar integration
to work. I use the same application (in fact from F-droid) to create
local non-cloud calendars and mobileorg uses it nicely.

* Re: MobileOrg does not sync with local Android calendar
@ 2016-02-03  7:56           ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2016-02-03  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Voit; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 01-02-2016, at 17:35, Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> wrote:
> * Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Mine is "Org". But in my calendar app, there is no "Org" calendar,
>>> just three others.
>>
>> No idea why that happens.
>>
>>> Whenever I choose an existing calendar within MobileOrg preferences,
>>> it stays at the non-existing "Org" calendar. I guess this is the
>>> reason why there is no data sync to my calendar.
>>
>> No idea what is happening there.
>
> Okay. A little bit confused now:
>
> When I checked MobileOrg a couple of minutes ago, I did see some
> (not all!) Org-mode events for the first time. Only scheduled
> things, no events with time-slots. I did not check any further.
>
> I recognized, that MobileOrg settings is showing me the previously
> selected existing calendar.
>
> In calendar, I noticed that sync was activated. Grrrrr. I hate it,
> when something silently leaks my private data to the public cloud!
>
> After I disabled the sync-checkboxes for my three calendars, the
> Org-mode events were gone again.
>
> Quite disappointing, the whole story.

Karl, I am sorry I can provide no additional help here and that the whole
thing is frustrating. I've been using mobile-org for several years without
much tweaking and, yes, enabling (not happily) the syncing of calendar with
Google's cloud. That said, sometimes (for reasons I don't understand)
things do not work fully (the calendar is not updated completely, events
are missing, events get duplicated, etc). So this is not always 100%
reliable.

As for Android's calendar syncing with Google's cloud, and after reading
Brian van den Broek's and Bingo UV's comments about Offline Calendar, I
think I'll be trying that so I can get rid of the cloud.

Best,

R.

--

@ 2016-02-06 18:03     ` cschr
From: cschr @ 2016-02-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Ramon and Eric

Are you using custom agenda views ?   Someone wrote on the web that this is required - is he right ?

Chris

@ 2016-02-09  8:34       ` Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
From: Ramon Diaz-Uriarte @ 2016-02-09  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cschr; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 06-02-2016, at 19:03, cschr <cschr@freenet.de> wrote:
> Thanks Ramon and Eric
>
> Are you using custom agenda views ?  Someone wrote on the web that this

Not that I am aware of. Where would I have done that (so I can check)?

@ 2016-02-09 15:44       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2016-02-09 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cschr; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Saturday,  6 Feb 2016 at 19:03, cschr wrote:
> Thanks Ramon and Eric
>
> Are you using custom agenda views ?  Someone wrote on the web that
> this is required - is he right ?

I am using some custom views but not sure if this is necessary for
calendar synchronisation.  It should be easy enough to test.  Create a
simple custom view, e.g.:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
        '(("l" "Location agenda view" agenda ""
           ((org-agenda-files '("~/s/notes/diary.org"))
            (org-agenda-ndays 1)
            (org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%TIMESTAMP %60ITEM %20LOCATION")
            (org-agenda-view-columns-initially t)))))
#+end_src

and then push to and pull from mobileorg as required.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 25.0.90.1, Org release_8.3.3-535-g7213aa