From: Ulf Stegemann <ulf-news@zeitform.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [IDEA] HTML-export literal examples to textarea
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:56:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2009, at 8:25 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

>>> Hi Ulf, so far I fail to see what the big advantage would be.  Can
>>> you try again to explain?
>>
>> of course. Generally, selecting text is a bit easier inside an input box
>> but the very real advantage is that you can edit inside inputs. This
>> allows to give literal examples with "variables" that can be changed
>> directly inside the page before being copied and pasted.
>
> Hmmm, but why would you want to edit them in the text window, if you
> will paste them into an editor anyway, where you probably can edit
> them a lot easier?  Or are you talking about pasting examples
> directly into an interpreter input stream?

yes, in the concrete case the documentation was about a rather complex
system and software setup and the "examples" were mainly meant to be
copied and pasted directly into an terminal emu ... with variable things
like host-, path-, user names an so on. Of course, one could paste this
in an editor first to change something but as the changes would be
rather minimal this would prove to be a bit clumsy.

Actually nobody seems to do it like this. I asked the target group how
they handle this and they told me, they just selected the text up to the
first variable, pasted it into the terminal, typed their variable value
into the terminal and then selected the rest of the example to complete
their command line(s).

Ulf