* Re: Re: customising org-latex-to-pdf-process for bibtex
@ 2011-03-01 12:33             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-03-01 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,  Thomas,

is there a problem in the default setup of LaTeX export that needs to be addressed?

- Carsten

On Mar 1, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> writes:
>
>> Aloha Suvayu,
>>
>> I haven't looked into this in depth, but I think your problem might
>> come from loading amssymb and amsmath.  LaTeX is complaining that
>> something is already defined; the AMS packages are a prime suspect
>> here.  Perhaps you could inhibit amssymb?
>>
>> All the best,
>> Tom
>
> Suvayu,
>
> I think this is indeed the problem.  I had this problem a month or so
> ago (search the mailing list!).  My solution is to add this to my
> .emacs:

> ;; to fix problems with amsmath conflicting with wasysym:
> ;;
> ;; From: Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>
> ;; Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [bug] latex export ignores org-export-latex-default-packages-alist?
> ;; To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> ;; Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:01:52 +0000
> (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-packages-alist '("" "amsmath" t))
> (setcar (rassoc '("wasysym" t) org-export-latex-default-packages-alist)	"integrals")

> : Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
> : using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.555.gfcf66)

- Carsten

* Re: Re: customising org-latex-to-pdf-process for bibtex
@ 2011-03-01 12:49               ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-01 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi Eric,  Thomas,
>
> is there a problem in the default setup of LaTeX export that needs to be addressed?
>
> - Carsten

Not as such in the default.

The issue arises when one wants to extend the defaults to include the
amsmath package.  This conflicts with the wasysym package included by
default by org.  Both packages define the =\iint= symbol and latex
doesn't allow for such clashes nicely.

The suggested fix is to use this magic (to me) code suggested by
Lawrence Mitchell earlier this year:

;; to fix problems with amsmath conflicting with wasysym:
;;
;; From: Lawrence Mitchell <wence@gmx.li>
;; Subject: [Orgmode] Re: [bug] latex export ignores org-export-latex-default-packages-alist?
;; To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
;; Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 16:01:52 +0000
(add-to-list 'org-export-latex-packages-alist '("" "amsmath" t))
(setcar (rassoc '("wasysym" t) org-export-latex-default-packages-alist)	"integrals")

modifying, I guess, what is actually loaded from wasysym.  I've not
delved more into this but Lawrence may be able to help here?

Thanks,
eric
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.4 (release_7.4.562.gc895)

* Re: Re: customising org-latex-to-pdf-process for bibtex
@ 2011-03-01 17:26 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2011-03-01 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha Carsten,

Does Org-mode use the wasysym package for its integral symbols?  If
not, potential clashes with the amsmath package could be avoided by
{wasysym}.  This is a fairly standard way to load wasysym (which I
should have recalled for Suvayu's recent problem, thanks Eric for
remembering).

All the best,
Tom

@ 2011-03-01 18:45 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-03-01 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Does Org-mode use the wasysym package for its integral symbols?  If
> not, potential clashes with the amsmath package could be avoided by
> [nointegrals]{wasysym}.  This is a fairly standard way to load wasysym
> (which I should have recalled for Suvayu's recent problem, thanks Eric
> for remembering).

That's very nice - thanks! I believe wasysym was introduced for its misc
symbols, not the integrals - if one needs integrals, then presumably
amsmath is the way to go, so [nointegrals] looks indeed like the right
way to go.

Nick

* Re: Re: customising org-latex-to-pdf-process for bibtex
@ 2011-03-01 18:58 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2011-03-01 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1.3.2011, at 18:26, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha Carsten,
>
> Does Org-mode use the wasysym package for its integral symbols?  If not, potential clashes with the amsmath package could be avoided by loading it with the nointegrals option:  \loadpackage[nointegrals]{wasysym}.  This is a fairly standard way to load wasysym (which I should have recalled for Suvayu's recent problem, thanks Eric for remembering).

Sounds good to me, but this is a question to Ulf Stegemann who
implemented many special characters in Org and who likely has an opinion on this.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: customising org-latex-to-pdf-process for bibtex
@ 2011-03-02  8:13   ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2011-03-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1.3.2011, at 18:26, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
>> Does Org-mode use the wasysym package for its integral symbols? If
>> not, potential clashes with the amsmath package could be avoided by
>> \loadpackage[nointegrals]{wasysym}. This is a fairly standard way to
>> load wasysym (which I should have recalled for Suvayu's recent
>> problem, thanks Eric for remembering).
>
> Sounds good to me, but this is a question to Ulf Stegemann who
> implemented many special characters in Org and who likely has an
> opinion on this.

AFAIR, wasysym was introduced because of the smileys it provides.  As
none of wasysym's integrals symbols is used by org-entities it's
okay to load the package with the `nointegrals' option.

Ulf