* Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-15 15:18 Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2013-04-15 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'm trying to find examples of presentations made with orgmode and
beamer. Ideally I would like to see sample presentations first (in PDF),
so that I can get one that looks as close to what I would need, and then
I would like to get the source code for it. Are there any good templates
out there? (Something similar to
http://draketo.de/light/english/politics-and-free-software/recipes-presentations-beamer-latex-using-emacs-org-mode,
but hopefully with more options).

Is there anything out there?

Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-15 15:24 ` Ista Zahn
From: Ista Zahn @ 2013-04-15 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm not clear on whether you are looking for templates or examples,
but if the later, maybe my slides at
http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/rtc/event/introduction-r will be of
some interest. Scroll down to the bottom and download the .zip file.
The rintro.pdf is the beamer export of the rintro.org file.

HTH,
Ista

@ 2013-04-15 15:25 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-15 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM, Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find examples of presentations made with orgmode and
> beamer. Ideally I would like to see sample presentations first (in PDF),
> so that I can get one that looks as close to what I would need, and then
> I would like to get the source code for it. Are there any good templates
> out there? (Something similar to
> http://draketo.de/light/english/politics-and-free-software/recipes-presentations-beamer-latex-using-emacs-org-mode,
> but hopefully with more options).
>
> Is there anything out there?

Not sure you'll find much out there since Org-mode is just using what
you can do with the Beamer LaTeX package. You might have better luck
searching around for Beamer themes and sample PDFs and then accessing
that look/style with Org-mode. This is typically as simple as this at
the top of the document:

#+latex_header: \usetheme[options]{theme-name}

For some Beamer examples:
- Matrix of all the standard themes:
http://www.hartwork.org/beamer-theme-matrix/
- Nice compilation of custom themes: http://latex.simon04.net/

I'm partial to Torino and have been using that at work with the
freewilly color option (blue) for almost everything.

To use it, I just have this at the top of all presentation files:

#+latex_header: \usetheme[alternativetitlepage=true,titleline=true]{Torino}
#+latex_header: \usecolortheme{freewilly}

Sorry if that's not what you're looking for! The recipe page you
posted will show you how to do some various columns and layouts, but
again, this is just doing in Org what you can do manually in Beamer.
The appearance is all going to come from the theme.

John

@ 2013-04-15 15:36   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2013-04-15 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 970 bytes --]

Hi,

Ista Zahn <istazahn@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm not clear on whether you are looking for templates or examples,

anything will do

> but if the later, maybe my slides at
> http://projects.iq.harvard.edu/rtc/event/introduction-r will be of
> some interest. Scroll down to the bottom and download the .zip file.
> The rintro.pdf is the beamer export of the rintro.org file.

this looks very nice, thanks a lot. I will look into it and try to
modify the footnote, some colours, etc. and see if I can get to where I
want to go.

Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/
ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de Datos, acceda a http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning the Protection of Data, consult http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-16 22:01   ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2013-04-16 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1585 bytes --]

Hi,

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> Sorry if that's not what you're looking for! The recipe page you
> posted will show you how to do some various columns and layouts, but
> again, this is just doing in Org what you can do manually in Beamer.
> The appearance is all going to come from the theme.

thanks a lot, but more than the appearance itself I was looking for
examples of how to do "things", for example, how to make items in a
"frame" appear one by one, while the other ones are greyed out, how to
remove the transition buttons, how to customize the short title,
etc. that appears in the infoline in some themes, etc.

Googling, I managed to do most of this stuff (though I didn't figure out
yet how to grey out images), but I thought it would be nice to have a
real (or a mock one) presentation available somewhere, which uses a lot
of the usual stuff that we do for presentations, together with the
source code, so that customizing my own presentation could be probably
easier.

Ista Zahn's sample presentation was more or less what I was looking for,
though obviously it didn't address all the issues I wanted to solve.

Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/
ADVERTENCIA: Sobre la privacidad y cumplimiento de la Ley de Protección de Datos, acceda a http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php
WARNING: For more information on privacy and fulfilment of the Law concerning the Protection of Data, consult http://www.iac.es/disclaimer.php?lang=en

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-17 14:42     ` Suvayu Ali
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:01:00PM +0100, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> > Sorry if that's not what you're looking for! The recipe page you
> > posted will show you how to do some various columns and layouts, but
> > again, this is just doing in Org what you can do manually in Beamer.
> > The appearance is all going to come from the theme.
>
> thanks a lot, but more than the appearance itself I was looking for
> examples of how to do "things", for example, how to make items in a
> "frame" appear one by one, while the other ones are greyed out, how to
> remove the transition buttons, how to customize the short title,
> etc. that appears in the infoline in some themes, etc.

Did you look at the beamer user guide[1]?  I realise it is formidable,
but it is also complete.

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:

[1] <http://www.TeX.ac.uk/TeX-archive/macros/LaTeX/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf>

--
Suvayu

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-17 14:51       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-04-17 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 17.4.2013, at 16:42, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:01:00PM +0100, Angel de Vicente wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Sorry if that's not what you're looking for! The recipe page you
>>> posted will show you how to do some various columns and layouts, but
>>> again, this is just doing in Org what you can do manually in Beamer.
>>> The appearance is all going to come from the theme.
>>
>> thanks a lot, but more than the appearance itself I was looking for
>> examples of how to do "things", for example, how to make items in a
>> "frame" appear one by one, while the other ones are greyed out, how to
>> remove the transition buttons, how to customize the short title,
>> etc. that appears in the infoline in some themes, etc.
>
> Did you look at the beamer user guide[1]?  I realise it is formidable,
> but it is also complete.

and it is a very pleasant read, highly recommended.

- Carsten

@ 2013-04-17 15:19       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-04-17 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Here's an Org-mode Beamer example including the required Emacs/Org-mode
customization, the Org file and the resulting pdf.

http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/data/org-beamer-example/

Hope it is helpful,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-17 15:44       ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-04-17 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] <http://www.TeX.ac.uk/TeX-archive/macros/LaTeX/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf>

url out-of-date?

,-------------------------------------------------------------------------

`-------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-17 15:45     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-17 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angel de Vicente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>> Sorry if that's not what you're looking for! The recipe page you
>> posted will show you how to do some various columns and layouts, but
>> again, this is just doing in Org what you can do manually in Beamer.
>> The appearance is all going to come from the theme.
>
> thanks a lot, but more than the appearance itself I was looking for
> examples of how to do "things", for example, how to make items in a
> "frame" appear one by one, while the other ones are greyed out, how to
> remove the transition buttons, how to customize the short title,
> etc. that appears in the infoline in some themes, etc.

Gotcha. Some of that is in Beamer, but you're correct that some of
this involves figuring out the Org-mode analog to the Beamer syntax.
Transitions, for example, go in the frame property drawer, and the
possible properties/values are listed in the manual.

Transition buttons are typically at the theme level, and that's
documented countless places online.

I've had a lot of trouble getting infolines to do what I want. I just
gave up on using themes that have them because I find the "mini TOC"
distracting and of little value to the presentation. Honestly, I
wonder if the audience is looking at those dots trying to gauge how
much presentation is left to go.

> Googling, I managed to do most of this stuff (though I didn't figure out
> yet how to grey out images), but I thought it would be nice to have a
> real (or a mock one) presentation available somewhere, which uses a lot
> of the usual stuff that we do for presentations, together with the
> source code, so that customizing my own presentation could be probably
> easier.

Looking around, there aren't *that* many options to do this in
straight Beamer. TikZ came up as one way, and others seemed to simply
use a second image (create two duplicate frames, one with the grayed
version and the second with the real image). Neither would be
particularly difficult via Org.

John

@ 2013-04-17 15:47         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-04-17 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Jolitz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Footnotes:
>>
>> [1] <http://www.TeX.ac.uk/TeX-archive/macros/LaTeX/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf>
>
> url out-of-date?
>
> ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | Not Found
> |
> | The requested URL
> | /TeX-archive/macros/LaTeX/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf was not
> | found on this server. Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.tex.ac.uk Port
> | 80
> `-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Works for me (I think it's identical except for the capitalization
(just googled "latex beamer manual"):

@ 2013-04-17 21:07       ` Angel de Vicente
From: Angel de Vicente @ 2013-04-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions. In the end, I mostly
googled around, took what I liked from here and there, and ended up with
something good enough for the time being (later on I will tweak it
again, mainly for the greying-out of images, which I didn't do it right
now, but should be easy replicating frames).

In case it can be useful to someone else, I put the example here:
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/presentations-with-org-mode-beamer.html

(in Linux to view the embedded video you need Acroread 9.4.1 or later
(or so I think). In Windows or Mac, I have no idea if the embedded video
will work.

Cheers,
--

@ 2013-04-18  0:12         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-18  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Angel,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:07:39PM +0100, Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions. In the end, I mostly
> googled around, took what I liked from here and there, and ended up with
> something good enough for the time being (later on I will tweak it
> again, mainly for the greying-out of images, which I didn't do it right
> now, but should be easy replicating frames).

Did you look at the Org beamer tutorial on Worg[1]?  It is still a work in
progress, so feel free to add stuff or suggest something you feel would
be useful.

Cheers,

Footnotes:

[1] <http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html>

--
Suvayu

* Re: Examples of orgmode+beamer presentations?
@ 2013-04-18  0:14           ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-04-18  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:47:04AM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> Footnotes:
> >>
> >> [1] <http://www.TeX.ac.uk/TeX-archive/macros/LaTeX/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf>
> >
> > url out-of-date?
> >
> > ,-------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > | Not Found
> > |
> > | The requested URL
> > | /TeX-archive/macros/LaTeX/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf was not
> > | found on this server. Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.tex.ac.uk Port
> > | 80
>
> Works for me (I think it's identical except for the capitalization
> (just googled "latex beamer manual"):
> - http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf

Sorry, my abbrev expanded changed the capitalisation when I pasted.
Should have checked.

--
Suvayu