From: Angel de Vicente <angelv@iac.es>
To: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-version reported as 6.33x after upgrading to the "latest and greatest" with Emacs' Package Manager
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 05:19:43 +0000	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 2034 bytes --]

>> Any idea on how to test if org is getting confused with 6.33 beyond
>> reporting that as its version?
>
> In your .emacs file, *just before* package-initialize add this and
> restart Emacs.
>
> (when (featurep 'org)
>   (error "Some mysterious force has already loaded org. Investigate why
>   this is so."))

Yes, there were mysterious forces... :-)

As I recall it I had two problems in my .emacs file:

1) a line:

(find-file "~/org/MAIN.org")

2) and
;; Remember-Mode
(org-remember-insinuate)
(setq org-directory "/home/angelv/org/")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "/notes.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

Those were forcing the bundled org version to load.

Issue solved by:

* Moving line in 1) right after the (package-initialize) right at the
bottom of my .emacs

* Getting rid of lines in 2) and substituting them by:
(setq org-directory "/home/angelv/org/")
(setq org-default-notes-file (concat org-directory "notes.org"))
(define-key global-map "\C-cc" 'org-capture)

* Putting out of the way the directory where the bundled ORG was
  (probably not needed, but for extra peace of mind)

BUT, I still could not capture anything with C-cc, and I got an error
about org-called-interactively-p not being valid/defined.. (don't
remember now). It looks like the new org was byte-compiled when the old
org was active and there were some issues in there. Deleting all the
.elc files, making sure that only the new org was active and then
byte-compiling the .el files again did the trick.

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://www.iac.es/galeria/angelv/