* odt2org
@ 2009-08-12 19:44 José María García Pérez
From: José María García Pérez @ 2009-08-12 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I am a happy user of emacs org-mode (I few weeks of experience with both of
them). In fact, this is my first post to this mailing-list.

I have to deal with many documents and I have looked for a way to have
access to the information in a faster manner. In that sense, I thought it
would be useful to have a converter from .doc to .org. The most similar
thing I found was "antiword", but it is not "fit for purpose". Yesterday I
decided to try to make my own tool. It was easier that what I thought. I
have made a little piece of code using python so it should be multiplatform.
It converts from .odt (OpenOffice) into .org. (You can convert from .doc to
.odt using pen Office without losing the information that is needed).

It seems to work: exporting files (.xls, .doc, .pdf and .ppt -it can be
added more quite easily), creating links, creating tables. If it doesn't,
just let me know. It shouldn't be hard to make it work.

Please don't blame since I am not a developer (I did what I could). I have
not tested it much (I did it on windows, not in linux).

The link for the software:
http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org

Hope you find it as useful as I do,

Cheers,
José María
PS: I will improve it, but after holidays (the reason why I rush it)

* Re: odt2org
@ 2009-08-18  9:46 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-08-18  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: José María García Pérez; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

José María García Pérez <josemaria.alkala@gmail.com> writes:

> Please don't blame since I am not a developer (I did what I could). I have not
> tested it much (I did it on windows, not in linux).
>
> The link for the software:
> http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org

Hey, that looks great.  I wanted to test it under GNU/Linux (debian) but
the installation of the lxml library is not straightforward:

  http://codespeak.net/lxml/installation.html

Did anyone successfully installed/tested José converter under GNU/Linux?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: odt2org
@ 2009-08-18 18:34   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-08-18 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Jose Maria Garcia Perez <josemaria.alkala@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Please don't blame since I am not a developer (I did what I could). I have not
> > tested it much (I did it on windows, not in linux).
> >
> > The link for the software:
> > http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org
>
> Hey, that looks great.  I wanted to test it under GNU/Linux (debian) but
> the installation of the lxml library is not straightforward:
>
>   http://codespeak.net/lxml/installation.html
>
> Did anyone successfully installed/tested Jose's converter under GNU/Linux?

Running on Ubuntu 8.04: I used synaptic to install lxml with no problems
(presumably you can do the same thing from debian using apt and get the
.deb from some ubuntu repository). I also needed to install
OleFileIO_PL:

$ odt2org.py -i fax_1.odt -o fax1.org
ERROR: install "OleFileIO_PL": http://www.decalage.info/files/OleFileIO_PL-0.18.zip

That was a straight python library install: unzip and run ``sudo python
setup.py install''.  After that, I tried it on a fax cover sheet that I
just happened to have (I don't do odt so I don't have much lying around)
and after I got the following error, I tried it on a simple document
that I created: a title and a couple of bullets - I got the same error:

$ odt2org.py -i fax_1.odt -o fax_1.org
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/nick/bin/odt2org.py", line 446, in <module>
    _oo.exportToORG()
  File "/home/nick/bin/odt2org.py", line 376, in exportToORG
    _output = self.__processText__()
  File "/home/nick/bin/odt2org.py", line 174, in __processText__
    _tmp = self.__processParagraph__(_child)
  File "/home/nick/bin/odt2org.py", line 200, in __processParagraph__
    for _i in _para.itertext():
AttributeError: 'etree._Element' object has no attribute 'itertext'

If you want to send me an odt document, I can try it out, but otherwise
I give up :-)

HTH,
Nick

* Re: odt2org