* Problem with org-yank and delete-selection-mode
@ 2009-01-25 17:00 Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2009-01-25 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

It's taken my a couple of months of running into this flaw to finally
stop and figure out what's wrong. I use either pending-delete-mode or
delete-selection-mode, depending on Emacs flavor, such that the
selected region gets deleted or replaced by a subsequent kill or yank
command. There's a strange interaction with yanking in org-mode, though,
where the yanked text gets inserted /before/ the delimited region
(assuming the point is before the mark) and the delimited text just gets
pushed out past the yanked text, as opposed to being /replaced/ by it.

Reading the header for delsel.el, I found documentation that requires
functions that delete, kill, or yank to exhibit a property
(`delete-selection') in order to work correctly with
delete-selection-mode. I found the following did the trick to get
org-yank to behave as expected:

,----
| (put 'org-yank 'delete-selection 'yank)
`----

It's not clear where such a definition belongs; delete-selection-mode
doesn't know about org-mode, and org-mode may not known about
delete-selection-mode. Should this fall to user-level customization?

--
Steven E. Harris