* Some in-file properties and other settings not recognized
@ 2009-02-19 12:17 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-19 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have the ORDERED property set for some of my tasks, and org-mode is
configured to dim blocked tasks.

However, in agenda view, the tasks are not dimmed. If I then go to the
PROPERTIES drawer and press C-c C-c and the refresh the agenda, the
blocked tasks dim correctly.

Similarly, I have (setq org-agenda-align-tags-to-column 100) in my
configuration file. This setting is also not recognised when I show my
task list. I have to open my config file (pdm-org.el), go to the line in
question and hit C-x C-e. Then when I refresh the agenda view, the tags
all shift to the right columns.

This is happening the same on two machines (both Windows I'm afraid),
with org-mode versions reported as 6.22b and 6.22trans.

I still have my earlier problem with the stuck projects view not
ignoring inherited tags.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Some in-file properties and other settings not recognized
@ 2009-02-19 12:30 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Paul,

On Feb 19, 2009, at 1:17 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> I have the ORDERED property set for some of my tasks, and org-mode is
> configured to dim blocked tasks.
>
> However, in agenda view, the tasks are not dimmed. If I then go to the
> PROPERTIES drawer and press C-c C-c and the refresh the agenda, the
> blocked tasks dim correctly.

When you press C-c C-c at a property drawer or at a property drawer,
you are presented with e menu.  What option do you select?

> Similarly, I have (setq org-agenda-align-tags-to-column 100) in my
> configuration file. This setting is also not recognised when I show my
> task list. I have to open my config file (pdm-org.el), go to the
> line in
> question and hit C-x C-e. Then when I refresh the agenda view, the
> tags
> all shift to the right columns.

This must mean that your file pdm-org.el is not read at all, or
not read in time for the agenda construction, or that the setting
is overwritten in some other place, for example by a
custom-set-variables form in another init file.

Or maybe you have first

(org-agenda-list)

in .emacs, and then

(load-file "~/pdm-org.el")

or some trick like this?

> This is happening the same on two machines (both Windows I'm afraid),
> with org-mode versions reported as 6.22b and 6.22trans.
>
> I still have my earlier problem with the stuck projects view not
> ignoring inherited tags.

I do not remember this one, can you send a link to the message?

- Carsten

* Re: Some in-file properties and other settings not recognized
@ 2009-02-19 12:56   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Paul,
>

> When you press C-c C-c at a property drawer or at a property drawer,
> you are presented with e menu.  What option do you select?

I didn't see the menu, so I've just gone back to try and re-create the
error. It seems that I was exiting the menu rather than selecting an
option in my haste to switch windows, so wasn't selecting anything. I
can now see that simply making the PROPERTIES drawer visible has the effect of
dimming the blocked todos once I refresh. If I refresh without making
the drawer visible they do not dim.

>> Similarly, I have (setq org-agenda-align-tags-to-column 100) in my
>> configuration file. This setting is also not recognised when I show my
>> task list. I have to open my config file (pdm-org.el), go to the  line in
>> question and hit C-x C-e. Then when I refresh the agenda view, the  tags
>> all shift to the right columns.
>
> This must mean that your file pdm-org.el is not read at all, or
> not read in time for the agenda construction, or that the setting
> is overwritten in some other place, for example by a
> custom-set-variables form in another init file.

All the other customizations in that file are working OK. I have
(require 'pdm-org) in my .emacs and the only other items which pertain
to org-mode which come after that line are the Customize settings for
org-agenda-files (which seem to be working fine) and org-stuck-projects
(which I also have a problem with!)

I'm quite prepared to believe that I have some items in the wrong order
- I'm fairly unsophisticated in elisp terms, but I have a minimal .emacs
with (require... lines for a series of mode-specific customization
files.

> Or maybe you have first
>
> (org-agenda-list)
>
> in .emacs, and then
>
> (load-file "~/pdm-org.el")
>
> or some trick like this?

I don't seem to have that variable set anywhere. Is that a problem?

>> This is happening the same on two machines (both Windows I'm afraid),
>> with org-mode versions reported as 6.22b and 6.22trans.
>>
>> I still have my earlier problem with the stuck projects view not
>> ignoring inherited tags.
>
> I do not remember this one, can you send a link to the message?
>
> - Carsten

Umm, let me see...

Don't think I can paste the nntp link, but on Gmane it's at:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/11398

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Re: Some in-file properties and other settings not recognized
@ 2009-02-19 14:25     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 19, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Hi Paul,
>>

>> When you press C-c C-c at a property drawer or at a property drawer,
>> you are presented with e menu.  What option do you select?
>
> I didn't see the menu, so I've just gone back to try and re-create the
> error. It seems that I was exiting the menu rather than selecting an
> option in my haste to switch windows, so wasn't selecting anything. I
> can now see that simply making the PROPERTIES drawer visible has the
> effect of
> dimming the blocked todos once I refresh. If I refresh without making
> the drawer visible they do not dim.

Is this Emacs 21?

>>> Similarly, I have (setq org-agenda-align-tags-to-column 100) in my
>>> configuration file. This setting is also not recognised when I
>>> show my
>>> task list. I have to open my config file (pdm-org.el), go to the
>>> line in
>>> question and hit C-x C-e. Then when I refresh the agenda view,
>>> the  tags
>>> all shift to the right columns.
>>
>> This must mean that your file pdm-org.el is not read at all, or
>> not read in time for the agenda construction, or that the setting
>> is overwritten in some other place, for example by a
>> custom-set-variables form in another init file.
>
> All the other customizations in that file are working OK. I have
> (require 'pdm-org) in my .emacs and the only other items which pertain
> to org-mode which come after that line are the Customize settings for
> org-agenda-files (which seem to be working fine) and org-stuck-
> projects
> (which I also have a problem with!)
>
> I'm quite prepared to believe that I have some items in the wrong
> order
> - I'm fairly unsophisticated in elisp terms, but I have a
> minimal .emacs
> with (require... lines for a series of mode-specific customization
> files.

One thing you can try:

1. Start Emacs, and check what the value of org-agenda-align-tags-to-
column is.

2. Create an agenda, then check again.

3. do C-x C-e in the line in pdm-org.el as you described, and then
    check the value of the variable again.

This should tell us something.

@ 2009-02-19 14:36       ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-02-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Feb 19, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Paul Mead wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>
>>> Hi Paul,
>
> Is this Emacs 21?
No, it's 22.2.

> One thing you can try:
>
> 1. Start Emacs, and check what the value of org-agenda-align-tags-to-
> column is.
>
> 2. Create an agenda, then check again.
>
> 3. do C-x C-e in the line in pdm-org.el as you described, and then
>    check the value of the variable again.
>
> This should tell us something.
OK, I've now tried this:

at 1. the value is -80
at 2. the value is -80
at 3. the value is now 100.

@ 2009-02-19 14:52         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-02-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 19, 2009, at 3:36 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

>> Is this Emacs 21?
> No, it's 22.2.

In fact.

You are completely right, there was a bug.  Thanks for insisting!

It is fixed now.

>> One thing you can try:
>>
>> 1. Start Emacs, and check what the value of org-agenda-align-tags-to-
>> column is.
>>
>> 2. Create an agenda, then check again.
>>
>> 3. do C-x C-e in the line in pdm-org.el as you described, and then
>>   check the value of the variable again.
>>
>> This should tell us something.
> OK, I've now tried this:
>
> at 1. the value is -80
> at 2. the value is -80
> at 3. the value is now 100.

... clearly showing that your customization is not read,
or overwritten again. I am afraid you will have to find
yourself where this is happening.

Actually, this might help:  org-agenda-align-tags-to-column is an
alias for org-agenda-tags-column,  Maybe you are setting that?  Or maybe
you should be setting that instead?

This must be the problem....

OK, still open, the problem with stuck projects.

- Carsten