From: "Francesco Pizzolante" <fpz-djc/iPCCuDYQheJpep6IedvLeJWuRmrY@public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Time computation errors
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 08:46:25 +0200	[thread overview]

Bernt Hansen,

Bernt Hansen wrote:

>>> I don't believe negative times are supported currently.
>>
>> You are probably right. The fact is that:
>>
>> 1) when you clock in and out, you can get negative durations (I
>>    know, it seems weird...) and then your clock table is wrong
>>    (negative duration are not taken into account when
>>    calculating the sums). Anyway, I think it should be good to
>>    support negative durations in order, for example, to compute
>>    differences between durations (which can lead to positive or
>>    negative times);
>
> How do you get negative times by clocking in and out?  The only way I
> can think of that you can get negative time is if you edit the clocked
> values after they are created.  By definition you have to clock in
> _before_ you clock out (right?) so everything clocked should be 0
> minutes or positive.  Am I missing something?

Not at all, you're right: you only get negative times when you
manually edit your clocks.

>> 2) I'm still unable to sum positive times value in my table (see
>>    my problem 2) in my previous email). Is there a specific
>>    operator in order to sum times?
>
> I'm not sure what the answer to this is.  I use the clocking features to
> summarize time spent working on tasks in clock reports only and I've
> never had the need to deal with negative values or summing clocked
> values manually in a table.
>
> Maybe other users have experience with summing times in tables outside
> of clock reports?

On example could be to determine the difference between the
estimated effort and the time really spent. You would
necessarily end up with negative durations (supposing that some
asks took less time than the estimated effort).

Does it make sense?

Thanks,
Francesco