* Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-16 10:01 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-16 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Dear all,

Sebastian has implemented into his org-info.js to use named
anchors to link to sections of a document.  This is now
finally a god way to link to specific FAQ entries,
without being afraid that the link may not work after
the next FAQ update.

So if you com across a question that can be answered with
a FAQ, go to the FAQ in your webbrowser.  Pressing "l" or "L"
at the location will display a link to this location that you
can copy and paste into the email answer to that question!
You can get HTML links, and Org-style links in this way.

So since this makes the FAQ more useful, if you know a good
answer to a question that is to yet a FAQ, please consider
to format the answer nicely and either send it to one of
the people with Worg access, or get Worg access yourself
and simply add it.

Since we are talking about the FAQ:  Is there anyone here who
would like to volunteer to spear-head the FAQ, by making
it his/her mission to identify good answers and making sure
they will get up into the FAQ?

:-) I think I deserve another volunteer for this after having
fixed all those LaTeX issues even though I had hope someone
else would get in and run point on this part....... :-)

Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-16 14:10 ` Matthew Lundin
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-12-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Carsten,

I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to keep an eye
on the mailing list for (1) questions that are already answered on the
FAQ (2) good answers that should be added to the FAQ.

(I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a deeper
knowledge of org-mode.)

Best,

Matt

> Dear all,
>
> Sebastian has implemented into his org-info.js to use named
> anchors to link to sections of a document.  This is now
> finally a god way to link to specific FAQ entries,
> without being afraid that the link may not work after
> the next FAQ update.
>
> So if you com across a question that can be answered with
> a FAQ, go to the FAQ in your webbrowser.  Pressing "l" or "L"
> at the location will display a link to this location that you
> can copy and paste into the email answer to that question!
> You can get HTML links, and Org-style links in this way.
>
> So since this makes the FAQ more useful, if you know a good
> answer to a question that is to yet a FAQ, please consider
> to format the answer nicely and either send it to one of
> the people with Worg access, or get Worg access yourself
> and simply add it.
>
> Since we are talking about the FAQ:  Is there anyone here who
> would like to volunteer to spear-head the FAQ, by making
> it his/her mission to identify good answers and making sure
> they will get up into the FAQ?
>
> :-) I think I deserve another volunteer for this after having
> fixed all those LaTeX issues even though I had hope someone
> else would get in and run point on this part....... :-)
>

> Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

* Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-16 16:57   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-12-16 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to keep an eye
> on the mailing list for (1) questions that are already answered on the
> FAQ (2) good answers that should be added to the FAQ.
>
> (I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a deeper
> knowledge of org-mode.)
>
> Best,
>
> Matt

And I'd too would like to help in whatever fashion Matt would require
help on. :-)

Me being an org user and all.

[...]

 sivaram

* Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-17  7:46   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2008-12-17  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

--- Mar 16/12/08, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> ha scritto:

> I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to
> keep an eye on the mailing list

hello,  Matthew,

> (I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a
> deeper knowledge of org-mode.)

you could also post the FAQ you've written in ML, with a subject like
i.e. [FAQ revision], and we can discuss it.

cheers,
Giovanni

* Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-17  8:10   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-17  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Matt,

to be honest, I had hoped you'd step forward, I am sure you will
do a great job with this, thanks so much.

- Carsten

On Dec 16, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to keep an eye
> on the mailing list for (1) questions that are already answered on the
> FAQ (2) good answers that should be added to the FAQ.
>
> (I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a deeper
> knowledge of org-mode.)
>
> Best,
>
> Matt
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Sebastian has implemented into his org-info.js to use named
>> anchors to link to sections of a document.  This is now
>> finally a god way to link to specific FAQ entries,
>> without being afraid that the link may not work after
>> the next FAQ update.
>>
>> So if you com across a question that can be answered with
>> a FAQ, go to the FAQ in your webbrowser.  Pressing "l" or "L"
>> at the location will display a link to this location that you
>> can copy and paste into the email answer to that question!
>> You can get HTML links, and Org-style links in this way.
>>
>> So since this makes the FAQ more useful, if you know a good
>> answer to a question that is to yet a FAQ, please consider
>> to format the answer nicely and either send it to one of
>> the people with Worg access, or get Worg access yourself
>> and simply add it.
>>
>> Since we are talking about the FAQ:  Is there anyone here who
>> would like to volunteer to spear-head the FAQ, by making
>> it his/her mission to identify good answers and making sure
>> they will get up into the FAQ?
>>
>> :-) I think I deserve another volunteer for this after having
>> fixed all those LaTeX issues even though I had hope someone
>> else would get in and run point on this part....... :-)
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> - Carsten

* Re: Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-17  8:11     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-17  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sivaram,

the FAQ, like all of Worg, is user editable, and you
contributions would be most welcome.  I am sure Matt will
find ways to put part of the work on you :-)

- Carsten

On Dec 16, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to keep an eye
>> on the mailing list for (1) questions that are already answered on
>> the
>> FAQ (2) good answers that should be added to the FAQ.
>>
>> (I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a deeper
>> knowledge of org-mode.)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Matt
>
> And I'd too would like to help in whatever fashion Matt would require
> help on. :-)
>
> Me being an org user and all.
>
> [...]
>

> sivaram

* Re: Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-17 13:45     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-12-17 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sivaram Neelakantan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sivaram,

I look forward to working with you on the FAQ. Here's my plan of
action. Please let me know if there's anything else we should add to
the plan:

1. Review the current FAQ.
2. Ask the mailing list for new FAQs that people would like to see
added. (I.e, invite everyone to suggest new FAQs or to email them to
me.)
3. Skim through old mailing list posts for potential FAQ entries.
4. Keep an eye on new posts to the mailing list for:
   a) Questions that are already answered on the FAQ page.
   b) Questions and answers that should be added to the FAQ page.

Thanks!
Matt

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to keep an eye
>> on the mailing list for (1) questions that are already answered on the
>> FAQ (2) good answers that should be added to the FAQ.
>>
>> (I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a deeper
>> knowledge of org-mode.)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Matt
>
> And I'd too would like to help in whatever fashion Matt would require
> help on. :-)
>
> Me being an org user and all.
>
> [...]
>

>  sivaram
>  --

* Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-17 13:46     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-12-17 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode Org-Mode

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for the invitation to work on the FAQ. I'm glad to find a way
to contribute to the org community.

Best,
Matt

> Hi Matt,
>
> to be honest, I had hoped you'd step forward, I am sure you will
> do a great job with this, thanks so much.
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Dec 16, 2008, at 3:10 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>

>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> I would be happy to take charge of tending the FAQ and to keep an eye
>> on the mailing list for (1) questions that are already answered on the
>> FAQ (2) good answers that should be added to the FAQ.
>>
>> (I would, of course, also gladly defer to someone with a deeper
>> knowledge of org-mode.)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Sebastian has implemented into his org-info.js to use named
>>> anchors to link to sections of a document.  This is now
>>> finally a god way to link to specific FAQ entries,
>>> without being afraid that the link may not work after
>>> the next FAQ update.
>>>
>>> So if you com across a question that can be answered with
>>> a FAQ, go to the FAQ in your webbrowser.  Pressing "l" or "L"
>>> at the location will display a link to this location that you
>>> can copy and paste into the email answer to that question!
>>> You can get HTML links, and Org-style links in this way.
>>>
>>> So since this makes the FAQ more useful, if you know a good
>>> answer to a question that is to yet a FAQ, please consider
>>> to format the answer nicely and either send it to one of
>>> the people with Worg access, or get Worg access yourself
>>> and simply add it.
>>>
>>> Since we are talking about the FAQ:  Is there anyone here who
>>> would like to volunteer to spear-head the FAQ, by making
>>> it his/her mission to identify good answers and making sure
>>> they will get up into the FAQ?
>>>
>>> :-) I think I deserve another volunteer for this after having
>>> fixed all those LaTeX issues even though I had hope someone
>>> else would get in and run point on this part....... :-)
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> - Carsten

* Re: Links to Org-mode FAQ
@ 2008-12-17 16:54       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2008-12-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Hi Sivaram,
>
> I look forward to working with you on the FAQ. Here's my plan of
> action. Please let me know if there's anything else we should add to
> the plan:
>
> 1. Review the current FAQ.
> 2. Ask the mailing list for new FAQs that people would like to see
> added. (I.e, invite everyone to suggest new FAQs or to email them to
> me.)
> 3. Skim through old mailing list posts for potential FAQ entries.
> 4. Keep an eye on new posts to the mailing list for:
>    a) Questions that are already answered on the FAQ page.
>    b) Questions and answers that should be added to the FAQ page.

[...]

Dammit, I should have listened to the inner voice that kept saying

Looks like I have work to do on this FAQ thingy, then.  Will mail
privately about how to get me to do some work.

 sivaram