* bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-10  7:50 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-05-10  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14379

Package: org-mode

(This report refers to the version of Org in the Emacs trunk.)
Several Org files cannot be loaded in isolation, by which I mean that eg

emacs -batch -l ob-C

fails. This may have no practical consequences, but seems like bad form
(eg it causes problems for automated testing).

The list is:

ob-C.el
ob-asymptote.el
ob-awk.el
ob-clojure.el
ob-fortran.el
ob-haskell.el
ob-io.el
ob-java.el
ob-latex.el
ob-lisp.el
ob-maxima.el
ob-ocaml.el
ob-perl.el
ob-picolisp.el
ob-python.el
ob-ruby.el
ob-scala.el
org-ctags.el

For all but the last, the problem is:

  Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts

For org-ctags, the problem is:

  Symbol's function definition is void: case

(because the `case' macro from cl is used in the default value of a
defcustom, which is not evaluated till load time.). This one is probably
a real bug.

* Re: bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-11 16:20 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Glenn Morris writes:
> Package: org-mode
>
> (This report refers to the version of Org in the Emacs trunk.)
> Several Org files cannot be loaded in isolation, by which I mean that eg
>
> emacs -batch -l ob-C
>
> fails. This may have no practical consequences, but seems like bad form
> (eg it causes problems for automated testing).
[…]

> For all but the last, the problem is:
>
>   Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts

The reason was that Emacs would barf on circular requires. This has
meanwhile been fixed in Org 8 by re-organizing the file inclusion
structure for Org Babel.

> For org-ctags, the problem is:
>
>   Symbol's function definition is void: case
>
> (because the `case' macro from cl is used in the default value of a
> defcustom, which is not evaluated till load time.). This one is probably
> a real bug.

Reimplementation with pcase should fix that unless this is then resolved
at compile-time?

(defcustom org-ctags-path-to-ctags
  (pcase system-type
    (`windows-nt "ctags.exe")
    (`darwin "ctags-exuberant")
    (_ "ctags-exuberant"))
  "Full path to the ctags executable file."
  :group 'org-ctags
  :version "24.1"
  :type 'file)

Achim.

* bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-11 18:24   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-05-11 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 14379

(Please keep the debbugs address included. It is basically an alias for
the org-mode list in this instance.)

Achim Gratz wrote:

> Reimplementation with pcase should fix that unless this is then resolved
> at compile-time?

pcase probably doesn't exist in all the ancient Emacs versions that you
want to support? In any case, it will case cause needless loading of
pcase at run-time. I'd use good old `cond' if I were you.
Actually, `if' will suffice in this case.
Actually actually, why not
  (if (executable-find "ctags-exuberant") "ctags-exuberant" "ctags")
?

* bug#14379: bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-12  4:08     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-12  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 14379

On 11.5.2013, at 20:24, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> (Please keep the debbugs address included. It is basically an alias for
> the org-mode list in this instance.)
>
> Achim Gratz wrote:
>
>> Reimplementation with pcase should fix that unless this is then resolved
>> at compile-time?
>
> pcase probably doesn't exist in all the ancient Emacs versions that you
> want to support? In any case, it will case cause needless loading of
> pcase at run-time. I'd use good old `cond' if I were you.
> Actually, `if' will suffice in this case.
> Actually actually, why not
>  (if (executable-find "ctags-exuberant") "ctags-exuberant" "ctags")

I have used this fix, thanks.

- Carsten

* bug#14379: bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-12  4:09 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-12  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 14379

On 10.5.2013, at 09:50, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:

> Package: org-mode
>
> (This report refers to the version of Org in the Emacs trunk.)
> Several Org files cannot be loaded in isolation, by which I mean that eg
>
> emacs -batch -l ob-C
>
> fails. This may have no practical consequences, but seems like bad form
> (eg it causes problems for automated testing).
>
> The list is:
>
> ob-C.el
> ob-asymptote.el
> ob-awk.el
> ob-clojure.el
> ob-fortran.el
> ob-haskell.el
> ob-io.el
> ob-java.el
> ob-latex.el
> ob-lisp.el
> ob-maxima.el
> ob-ocaml.el
> ob-perl.el
> ob-picolisp.el
> ob-python.el
> ob-ruby.el
> ob-scala.el

I have asked Erik to fix these.

Thanks for the report.

- Carsten

@ 2013-05-12  7:34   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-05-12  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Glenn Morris, 14379

Carsten Dominik writes:
> I have asked Erik to fix these.

These errors do not exist in Org 8 anymore, in other words they are
already fixed (by the introduction of ob-core, as it were).

Regards,
Achim.

* bug#14379: bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-12  8:57     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2013-05-12  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Eric Schulte, 14379

I missed that, thank you.

- Carsten

On 12.5.2013, at 09:34, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>> I have asked Erik to fix these.
>
> These errors do not exist in Org 8 anymore, in other words they are
> already fixed (by the introduction of ob-core, as it were).
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> SD adaptation for Waldorf rackAttack V1.04R1:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada

* bug#14379: bug#14379: bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-13 21:32     ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2013-05-13 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Carsten Dominik, 14379

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>> I have asked Eric to fix these.
>
> These errors do not exist in Org 8 anymore, in other words they are
> already fixed (by the introduction of ob-core, as it were).

I'm still getting an error with the following.

    $ emacs -batch -l lisp/ob-C.el
    Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts

I can eliminate the error if I remove

  (defvar org-babel-tangle-lang-exts)

from ob-C.el, and add an explicit require to ob-tangle.  I have no idea
why the explicit require works, but requiring /through/ ob.el does not
work.  I can make these changes if it is important to be able to load
these source files individually.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* bug#14379: bug#14379: bug#14379: Several Org source files cannot be loaded in isolation
@ 2013-05-14  5:23       ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2013-05-14  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Glenn Morris, Carsten Dominik, 14379

On Monday 13 May 2013, 15:32:45, Eric Schulte wrote:
> I'm still getting an error with the following.
>
>     $ emacs -batch -l lisp/ob-C.el
>     Symbol's value as variable is void: org-babel-tangle-lang-exts

Depending on which Emacs version you use and whether, where and how Org 8 is
installed and initialized, you'll need something like

$ emacs -Q -batch -l org8-init.el -l lisp/ob-C.el

for testing, to avoid pulling in the wrong autoloads.  This won't be a
problem once Org 8 is integrated into Emacs, but you need to be careful with
standalone Org.

> I can eliminate the error if I remove
>
>   (defvar org-babel-tangle-lang-exts)
>
> from ob-C.el, and add an explicit require to ob-tangle.  I have no idea
> why the explicit require works, but requiring /through/ ob.el does not
> work.  I can make these changes if it is important to be able to load
> these source files individually.

I'll test that again once more to be sure, but this should really be fixed
already.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff: