From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Preventing inadvertent global modifications
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 18:00:11 +0700	[thread overview]

On 14/09/2023 19:56, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> C-u C-c C-q still realigns all tags in the buffer, so this option would
>> not save me from getting huge diff.
>
> C-u C-c C-q is explicitly documented to do so. Surely, you may press
> universal argument by accident, but so you do for, say, C-u C-u C-k,
> deleting 16 lines at once. I am not sure if makes much sense to
> intervene here.

I have never tried to dispute that it is documented.

The issue is not prefix argument and not namely aligning tags, but a lot
of modifications scattered across file being invisible in the active frame.

I do not remember if I had problems due to C-k, but adding some friction
to C-w and M-w if the mark is too far away is in my plan. Fortunately I
usually can notice that C-w deletes significant part of my file because
mark was set in other window. So undo helps (attention is required
however to not revert undo to redo and to stop at proper point). Since
adjacent region may be unfolded in response to editing action, sometimes
it is hard to figure out if effect of key hit is consistent with
expectations.

> I am reluctant (see the above), unless other users also think that such
> feature would be useful.

Since nobody joined to the thread, I assume it is my personal pain,
perhaps related to Vim, perhaps to other experience. I can not say that
I am investing noticeable amount of efforts to eliminate it, but I hope
I will get better ideas in future.