* Org files downloads getting corrupted?
@ 2007-07-16 14:17 Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is anyone getting their downloads corrupted while downloading from Org
homepage?  For the last few days, the download of the zip/gzip files
gets interrupted, then resumes.  When it completes there is at least
one file which is broken in it when tested using gzip -t or unzip -t.

Anyone face similar problems?

I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Win XP Pro. I've also tried it using wget
and there too, the connection 'hangs' for some time and then resumes;
and then to a corrupted file.

If it's a network issue on my ISP/PC, what do I check for?  I'm unable
to figure out what is the problem could be.

 sivaram

* Re: Org files downloads getting corrupted?
@ 2007-07-16 16:06 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-07-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Is anyone getting their downloads corrupted while downloading from Org
> homepage?  For the last few days, the download of the zip/gzip files
> gets interrupted, then resumes.  When it completes there is at least
> one file which is broken in it when tested using gzip -t or unzip -t.
>
> Anyone face similar problems?
>
> I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 on Win XP Pro. I've also tried it using wget
> and there too, the connection 'hangs' for some time and then resumes;
> and then to a corrupted file.
>
> If it's a network issue on my ISP/PC, what do I check for?  I'm unable
> to figure out what is the problem could be.
>
>  sivaram
>  --

Works for me on my Linux/Debian system from

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/#sec-4

I checked both the zip file and the tar file using zip -T and gzip -t
and both are fine.

Maybe check your system for viruses?

Bernt

* Re: Org files downloads getting corrupted?
@ 2007-07-16 16:51   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-16 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Works for me on my Linux/Debian system from
>
> http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/#sec-4
>
> I checked both the zip file and the tar file using zip -T and gzip -t
> and both are fine.
>
> Maybe check your system for viruses?
>
> Bernt

So far none but that doesn't mean a thing in win32 boxes.  The thing
 is, when I use add ons, the downloads will start at 40/50 kb/s then
 stop abruptly and say something 'unavailable' and be there
 indefinitely till I pause and resume it again.  I tried to download
 in parts or as a single chunk, it's still the same.

@ 2007-07-16 17:03     ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-07-16 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>> Works for me on my Linux/Debian system from
>>
>> http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/#sec-4
>>
>> I checked both the zip file and the tar file using zip -T and gzip -t
>> and both are fine.
>>
>> Maybe check your system for viruses?
>>
>> Bernt
>

> So far none but that doesn't mean a thing in win32 boxes.  The thing
>  is, when I use add ons, the downloads will start at 40/50 kb/s then
>  stop abruptly and say something 'unavailable' and be there
>  indefinitely till I pause and resume it again.  I tried to download
>  in parts or as a single chunk, it's still the same.
>

>  sivaram
>  --

What are you using to download it?  I use wget, from a command prompt, and
have never had a problem.

For example:

wget http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-5.03.tar.gz

Dave

* Re: Org files downloads getting corrupted?
@ 2007-07-17 14:08       ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-17 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
>>
>>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> What are you using to download it?  I use wget, from a command prompt, and
> have never had a problem.
>
> For example:
>
> wget http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-5.03.tar.gz
>

> Dave

Same here.

$ ./wget http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-5.03.zip
--19:33:39--  http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org-5.03.zip
           => `org-5.03.zip.5'
Resolving staff.science.uva.nl... 146.50.4.55
Connecting to staff.science.uva.nl|146.50.4.55|:80... connected.
Length: 1,190,505 (1.1M) [application/zip]

19:34:21 (31.42 KB/s) - `org-5.03.zip.5' saved [1190505/1190505]

$ ../gnu/bin/unzip.exe -t org-5.03.zip.5
Warning: TZ environment variable not found, cannot use UTC times!!
Archive:  org-5.03.zip.5

[...]

    testing: org-5.03/org.el          bad CRC abadafe2  (should be 1481a8c0)

[...]

    testing: org-5.03/org.pdf
  error:  invalid compressed data to inflate

[...]

    testing: org-5.03/Makefile        OK

At least one error was detected in org-5.03.zip.5.

I run spybot and I also have norton antivirus/firewall installed which
has not given any problems with downloads so far...

 sivaram

* Re: Org files downloads getting corrupted? [SOLVED]
@ 2007-07-17 14:39         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-17 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I run spybot and I also have norton antivirus/firewall installed which
> has not given any problems with downloads so far...

ummmm.....on a hunch after I typed that, I disabled my firewall and
tried it and it worked.

Sorry for the noise.

@ 2007-07-17 16:05           ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-07-17 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:

> Sivaram Neelakantan <nsivaram.net@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> [...]
>
>> I run spybot and I also have norton antivirus/firewall installed which
>> has not given any problems with downloads so far...
>
> ummmm.....on a hunch after I typed that, I disabled my firewall and
> tried it and it worked.
>
> Sorry for the noise.
>
>  sivaram
>  --

It's not noise.  You shouldn't disable your firewall, you should just open an
exception for wget, and allow it to be ignored by your firewall...

Dave