* HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-29 18:02 Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2023-05-29 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

When I export to HTML using Org 9.6.6, there is a /> closing the meta tag:

This did not happen when I used Org 9.4.6:

I wouldn't care about this change, but when I validate the page code (https://validator.w3.org/) I get the following: "Info: Trailing slash on void elements has no effect and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values."

The documentation I've seen states that the code without the trailing slash is the proper code. I request that the org-html--build-meta-entry function in ox-html.el be changed to eliminate the trailing slash.

Scott Randby

* Re: HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-29 18:07 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-29 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby, Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> This did not happen when I used Org 9.4.6:

> I wouldn't care about this change, but when I validate the page code (https://validator.w3.org/) I get the following: "Info: Trailing slash on void elements has no effect and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values."

Timothy, may you take a look?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-29 18:19   ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2023-05-29 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko, Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 5/29/23 14:07, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

>> This did not happen when I used Org 9.4.6:

>> I wouldn't care about this change, but when I validate the page code (https://validator.w3.org/) I get the following: "Info: Trailing slash on void elements has no effect and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values."
>
> Timothy, may you take a look?

Just to give some support to my request, the HTML standard (https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/syntax.html#start-tags) says this: "Then, if the element is one of the void elements, or if the element is a foreign element, then there may be a single U+002F SOLIDUS character (/), which on foreign elements marks the start tag as self-closing. On void elements, it does not mark the start tag as self-closing but instead is unnecessary and has no effect of any kind. For such void elements, it should be used only with caution — especially since, if directly preceded by an unquoted attribute value, it becomes part of the attribute value rather than being discarded by the parser."

Scott

* Re: HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-29 20:37     ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2023-05-29 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott,

> Just to give some support to my request, the HTML standard
> (<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/syntax.html#start-tags>) says this:
> “Then, if the element is one of the void elements, or if the element is a
> foreign element, then there may be a single U+002F SOLIDUS character (/), which
> on foreign elements marks the start tag as self-closing. On void elements, it
> does not mark the start tag as self-closing but instead is unnecessary and has
> no effect of any kind. For such void elements, it should be used only with
> caution — especially since, if directly preceded by an unquoted attribute value,
> it becomes part of the attribute value rather than being discarded by the
> parser.”

The things is the ox-html exporter currently tries to (mostly) support XHTML,
which as I understand requires the self-closing slash.

I think what’s really needed is an HTML export implementation that can more
easily support different “modes” of export, but somebody needs to work on that
🙃.

All the best,
Timothy

--
Timothy (‘tecosaur’/‘TEC’), Org mode contributor.
or support my work at <https://liberapay.com/tec>.

* Re: HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-29 22:25       ` Scott Randby
From: Scott Randby @ 2023-05-29 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Ihor Radchenko, emacs-orgmode

On 5/29/23 16:37, Timothy wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
>> Just to give some support to my request, the HTML standard
>> (<https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/syntax.html#start-tags>) says this:
>> “Then, if the element is one of the void elements, or if the element is a
>> foreign element, then there may be a single U+002F SOLIDUS character (/), which
>> on foreign elements marks the start tag as self-closing. On void elements, it
>> does not mark the start tag as self-closing but instead is unnecessary and has
>> no effect of any kind. For such void elements, it should be used only with
>> caution — especially since, if directly preceded by an unquoted attribute value,
>> it becomes part of the attribute value rather than being discarded by the
>> parser.”
>
> The things is the ox-html exporter currently tries to (mostly) support XHTML,
> which as I understand requires the self-closing slash.
>
> I think what’s really needed is an HTML export implementation that can more
> easily support different “modes” of export, but somebody needs to work on that
> 🙃.

Okay, but when I try to validate my page as XHTML, I get numerous errors that would be inconvenient to fix especially since I'm only interested in obtaining valid HTML. What I think I'll do is to edit the org-html--build-meta-entry function in my ox-html.el file to eliminate the trailing slash. I'll just have to remember to do that every time I upgrade Org.

Scott

* Re: HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-30  6:12         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-05-30  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Randby; +Cc: Timothy, emacs-orgmode

Scott Randby <srandby@gmail.com> writes:

> Okay, but when I try to validate my page as XHTML, I get numerous errors that would be inconvenient to fix especially since I'm only interested in obtaining valid HTML. What I think I'll do is to edit the org-html--build-meta-entry function in my ox-html.el file to eliminate the trailing slash. I'll just have to remember to do that every time I upgrade Org.

No need to remember.
You can (1) use git version of Org with your patch on top; (2) the same
via straight.el, which is rebase things for you automatically; (3)
https://github.com/radian-software/el-patch

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: HTML export meta tag
@ 2023-05-30 15:37       ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2023-05-30 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 30/05/2023 03:37, Timothy wrote:
> The things is the ox-html exporter currently tries to (mostly) support XHTML,
> which as I understand requires the self-closing slash.

ox-html has

     (:html-doctype "HTML_DOCTYPE" nil org-html-doctype)

option that may be set to e.g. xhtml-11 or html5. Ideally both syntax
variants should be supported, with "/" before ">" and without it.