From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Why am I being told to use "straight.el"?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 21:16:27 +0700	[thread overview]

On 21/04/2023 20:25, Colin Baxter wrote:

> I have never used straight

That warning message is rather long and I suspect you may miss its
beginning because it was scrolled out of the warnings buffer. If so,
have a look into `org-assert-version' definition in lisp/org-macs.el or
you may try something like

     emacs -Q -l org -L ~/path/to/your/org/repository/lisp -l ob-shell

> and I update my org-mode every couple of
> days. Today was the first time I received the warning.

What branch is tracked there, main or bugfix? I am unsure that it will
be possible to reproduce the issue, but the following command may shed
some light on updates history

     git reflog | head -n 20

Please, specify Emacs version.

>      > Did you get this warning when you restarted emacs?
>
> No.

Then I am completely confused what happened. Org compiled by make should
not be affected by the mixed compile issue, especially after "make
clean". How do you load updated version without restarting of Emacs? Do
you use `org-reload'? Please, try to specify all you steps from "git
pull" to first time when you got the warning.

>      > (require 'org-protocol)
>
> There is no org-protocol anywhere in my ~/.emacs.

It is not necessary org-protocol, any org file loaded before load path
is changed may cause the issue. It might be e.g. building agenda buffer
during startup.