From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Org Column in Thunderbird
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 18:44:49 +0700	[thread overview]

On 10/06/2022 21:26, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> You dropped Org ML from the CC. Was it intentional?

My double failure. At first I replied to the message received directly
that lacks List-Post header, while usually I response from the newsgroup
folder, so simple reply has correct address, then I resent message in a
such way that original Message-ID was lost. Sorry for that.

> Max Nikulin writes:
>> On 10/06/2022 20:11, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>>> I imagine browser URLs could also indicate if they have associated Org
>>> notes. Or pdfs.
>>
>> It seems, most of PDF viewers do not allow decorations added by users.
>> Even built-in viewers in browsers displays document as privileged
>> content inaccessible by extensions. A kind of workaround is loading of
>> the same pdf.js to a regular page, but it is not really convenient. I am
>> unsure concerning security issues when pdf.js is bundled into an add-on.
>
> AFAIK, https://web.hypothes.is/demos/ somehow works with PDFs in browsers.

If you mean docdrop.org then it likely uploads PDF documents to the
server, perhaps to convert it to HTML since I have not noticed traces of
PDF.js. Due to 502 Bad Gateway response I have not seen it in action.
(Why are they insisting namely on dropping file without a button to open
file selection dialog?)

I did not try to say that it is impossible since pdf.js may be used by
regular pages. Serving documents grabbed from various sources requires
extreme care to avoid security vulnerabilities. Ideally each document
should be served from a unique domain to be able to enforce available
measures like Content-Security-Policy. PDF is rather complex format, may
include JavaScript, there is chance that some may remain active after
rendering the document as HTML. In another project dedicated to capture
of web pages I noticed some problems with attacks through JS embedded
into HTML pages and the author fixed problems that can be exploited.
https://github.com/danny0838/webscrapbook/

Reading about sioyek I noticed that it is able to recognize text looking
like references to citations. Several years ago I have heard about
converting references formatted using wide spread styles into e.g.
bibtex entry or lookup in online libraries (mendeley?). It requires
significant efforts to implement, but it would be a killer feature to
mark entries in the references section if the user have notes related to
the paper even when the PDF has no active hyperlinks or at least doi.

However at first similar feature should be added to LinkRemark for
regular HTTP URLs.

>>> Also, did you announce this anywhere outside Org ML?
>>
>> I have no idea where I should announce it since currently it is useful
>> mostly with Org mode. Unsure if e.g. API of Joplin app will allow to get
>> all links of certain kind in all notes.
>
> /r/orgmode I guess.

Frankly speaking I forgot about it. The mail list efficiently utilizes
my "upstream bandwidth" that I am ready to dedicate to Org, so I do not
follow discussions there.

I read reddit post mostly when there is no better links in search
results. Sometimes I see mentions of this site in the context of
discussions related to dark UI patterns (e.g. forcing users to make
mobile client more "popular" by blocking some topics in mobile
browsers). However it is not fair to complain concerning the policy of
such site in a message sent from gmail about a project hosted at github.

I agree that post on reddit could attract more users since significant
fraction of people prefer instant messengers and web services while
hating email. The problem here is that my project deals with email, so
it should be more probable to meet users here.

Actually I do not mind if someone will mention orco on reddit, but
unsure if I will join the discussion.

>> Also I am afraid that I may broke something in Thunderbird internals. It
>> has some code for custom columns but docs are rather scarce, so I am
>> unsure if I implemented it properly. It is a reason to take a pause and
>> to wait if my profile would turn into unusable state.
>
> Part of the benefit of the announcement could be having a feedback and
> people trying and reporting if you actually broke something :)
> Of course, it does make sense to test things locally first and catch the
> most obvious issues.

The threshold for new users should not be too high. Requirement of a
helper application is a significant obstacle. I have not implemented a
simple installer. I think, I can cross-compile bURL for windows, but it
requires some changes in code and, more important, different
installation procedure I have never tried. After first negative
impression it may be more hard to convince user to try it again.