On 27/05/2022 22:18, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Max Nikulin writes: > >>> With this exact init.el, trying to run >>> (let ((process-connection-type nil)) >>> (start-process-shell-command "1" nil "xdg-open ~/.bashrc")) >> >> Does it mean that you can not reproduce it with emacsclient instead of >> xdg-open? Anyway I can not reproduce it with Emacs-27.1 from >> Ubuntu-20.04. > > I have reported this to Emacs. The more precise steps are in > https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=55672 As expected, nobody wishes to dig into obscure X11 issue. You may try the attached patch. I do not consider it as unambiguous improvement since almost all errors are swallowed due to requirement to interpret viewer command using shell. The same approach settled on `browse-url' after several fixes, but there at least wrong executable name may be reported. I suspect that you faced the bug working on another issue, so you do not really suffer from it.