* Meetup/conference
@ 2010-10-28  0:08 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-28  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Aloha all,

This might be wildly impractical for most of you, but I'd be happy to
facilitate an Org-mode conference at Keauhou Beach Resort in Kona,
Hawaii.  I organized a conference there for 150 archaeologists a few
years ago and the facilities were perfect for a group that size.  I
don't remember right now the minimum number needed for the group rate,
but something around 50 sticks in my head.

In addition to congenial meeting facilities, you will find:

1) Terrific sport fishing,
2) Magnificently restored traditional Hawaiian religious temples on
the hotel grounds,
3) An active volcano, with lava flowing into the sea, and
4) Tours of the observatories on Mauna Kea.

If we tentatively plan for the northern hemisphere winter a year from
now that would be sufficient lead time to set up the conference.  And
as the days shorten and nights begin to freeze for many of you, the
thought of a week in January or February in 27 degree Celsius sunshine
might prove appealing.

Of course, Hawai`i Island lacks Belgian beer and for many of you it is
halfway around the world ...

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Meetup/conference
@ 2010-10-28  8:57 ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-10-28  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode

Thanks for giving me an excuse to visit Hawaii! Actually, it would be
a tough sell to me wife, if you can believe that!

Jeff

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
> Aloha all,
>
> This might be wildly impractical for most of you, but I'd be happy to
> facilitate an Org-mode conference at Keauhou Beach Resort in Kona, Hawaii.
>  I organized a conference there for 150 archaeologists a few years ago and
> the facilities were perfect for a group that size.  I don't remember right
> now the minimum number needed for the group rate, but something around 50
> sticks in my head.
>
> In addition to congenial meeting facilities, you will find:
>
> 1) Terrific sport fishing,
> 2) Magnificently restored traditional Hawaiian religious temples on the
> hotel grounds,
> 3) An active volcano, with lava flowing into the sea, and
> 4) Tours of the observatories on Mauna Kea.
>
> If we tentatively plan for the northern hemisphere winter a year from now
> that would be sufficient lead time to set up the conference.  And as the
> days shorten and nights begin to freeze for many of you, the thought of a
> week in January or February in 27 degree Celsius sunshine might prove
> appealing.
>
> Of course, Hawai`i Island lacks Belgian beer and for many of you it is
> halfway around the world ...
>
> All the best,
> Tom

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/

* Re: Meetup/conference
@ 2010-10-28  9:12 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-28  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org Mode

On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:

> Aloha all,
>
> This might be wildly impractical for most of you, but I'd be happy
> to facilitate an Org-mode conference at Keauhou Beach Resort in
> Kona, Hawaii.  I organized a conference there for 150 archaeologists
> a few years ago and the facilities were perfect for a group that
> size.  I don't remember right now the minimum number needed for the
> group rate, but something around 50 sticks in my head.
>
> In addition to congenial meeting facilities, you will find:
>
> 1) Terrific sport fishing,
> 2) Magnificently restored traditional Hawaiian religious temples on
> the hotel grounds,
> 3) An active volcano, with lava flowing into the sea, and
> 4) Tours of the observatories on Mauna Kea.

What a tempting proposal!  Imaging a picture of 50 people with
Org-mode T-Shirts in front of glowing Lava!  I love Hawaii.

I for one don't have the funds for traveling that far - but I do get
to Hawaii very occasionally for observations.  Will let you know when
that happens next time!

Cheers

- Carsten

> If we tentatively plan for the northern hemisphere winter a year
> from now that would be sufficient lead time to set up the
> conference.  And as the days shorten and nights begin to freeze for
> many of you, the thought of a week in January or February in 27
> degree Celsius sunshine might prove appealing.
>
> Of course, Hawai`i Island lacks Belgian beer and for many of you it
> is halfway around the world ...
>
> All the best,
> Tom

- Carsten

* Re: Meetup/conference
@ 2010-10-28 16:10   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2010-10-28 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Since we're talking about meet-ups, I'd like to say it would be great to
see an informal org-mode meet-up attached to other conferences one might
attend.

Not as an alternative to the Hawaii proposal, but as an "also."

cheers,

* Re: Meetup/conference
@ 2010-10-28 16:33   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-10-28 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Org Mode

On Oct 27, 2010, at 11:12 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
>> Aloha all,
>>
>> This might be wildly impractical for most of you, but I'd be happy
>> to facilitate an Org-mode conference at Keauhou Beach Resort in
>> Kona, Hawaii.  I organized a conference there for 150
>> archaeologists a few years ago and the facilities were perfect for
>> a group that size.  I don't remember right now the minimum number
>> needed for the group rate, but something around 50 sticks in my head.
>>
>> In addition to congenial meeting facilities, you will find:
>>
>> 1) Terrific sport fishing,
>> 2) Magnificently restored traditional Hawaiian religious temples on
>> the hotel grounds,
>> 3) An active volcano, with lava flowing into the sea, and
>> 4) Tours of the observatories on Mauna Kea.
>>

> What a tempting proposal!  Imaging a picture of 50 people with
> Org-mode T-Shirts in front of glowing Lava!  I love Hawaii.
>
> I for one don't have the funds for traveling that far - but I do get
> to Hawaii very occasionally for observations.  Will let you know
> when that happens next time!
>
> Cheers
>
> - Carsten
>
>> If we tentatively plan for the northern hemisphere winter a year
>> from now that would be sufficient lead time to set up the
>> conference.  And as the days shorten and nights begin to freeze for
>> many of you, the thought of a week in January or February in 27
>> degree Celsius sunshine might prove appealing.
>>
>> Of course, Hawai`i Island lacks Belgian beer and for many of you it
>> is halfway around the world ...
>>
>> All the best,
>> Tom

> - Carsten

Well, an org-mode conference without you wouldn't work at all.
Consider my offer an open offer if you should change your mind.
Perhaps you could cut and paste this in one of your agenda files? :)

**** TODO Consider Org-mode conference in Hawaii
      SCHEDULED: <2011-01-03 Mon>

All the best,
Tom

* Re: Meetup/conference
@ 2010-11-05 18:13     ` Stephen Eglen
From: Stephen Eglen @ 2010-11-05 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> writes:

> Since we're talking about meet-ups, I'd like to say it would be great to
> see an informal org-mode meet-up attached to other conferences one might
> attend.
>
> Not as an alternative to the Hawaii proposal, but as an "also."

I will be presenting a tutorial on Emacs Speaks Statistics at next
year's R conference.  This will include some time devoted to org-babel,
of course focused towards R usage.

http://www.warwick.ac.uk/statsdept/useR-2011/

Stephen