* org-roam to HTML: My needs are unusual?
@ 2022-03-11 12:03 c.buhtz
From: c.buhtz @ 2022-03-11 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello together,

this post is not about a technical problem but I need your advice and
opinion as experienced org(roam) users and developers. I am a bit
frustrated.

Some of you have noticed that I tried to generate HTML files out of my
org-roam notes. In the current state I am failed. On one side because of
technical problems/bugs and on the other side because of tools not
fitting my needs.

At the end I would subscribe my need like that:
I want all my org-roam-v2 notes (means org file with ID-links)
transformed to HTML-files which I can use via file:// protocol (means
without a server).

Sounds simple to me but the reality looks different. And I wonder if my
use case is not so usual as I thought. Am I the only person experience
that problems?

I tried ox-publish but there are problems (and known bugs [1]) with
creating correct links/urls between the HTML-files based on the
org-roam-v2-ID-links. I do not understand the technical details and I am
not able to surly reproduce the problems. But I heard from many sides
that I am not the only person with that problem.

ox-hugo with hugo is often mentioned in the context. But ox-hugo is not
able to export everything out-of-the-box [2]. And the HTML files
generated by hugo are not usable via the file:// protocol without some
hacks [3].

My wish would be that the ox-publish would work. I prefer in-build
things. But I am not sure how the result would look like if it work.

Currently I think about creating a Python tool parsing the org files by
itself and doing all the needed stuff. But I do not want to waste my
time here when the ox-publish problem is solved in the next months.

Thanks in advance
Christian

[1] -- <https://list.orgmode.org/87v9kavoms.fsf@gnu.org/>
[2] -- <https://github.com/kaushalmodi/ox-hugo/discussions/585>