On 02/12/2021 17:50, Denis Maier wrote: > > Currently, org syntax doesn't officially seem to support intra-word > emphasis. Am I missing something? > If the assessment is correct: Is there a reason for this? And, shouldn't > that be officially added? I have an idea how to implement *intra*/word/ markup with minimal change of Org syntax. At first I had a hope that it is enough to introduce \relax entity that expands to empty string, but it does not work for second part of words: *intra*\relax{}/word/ is exported to intra/word/. So it is necessary to support consuming spaces after such entity similar to TeX commands: *intra*\relax /word/ In Org "a\_ b" already behaves in the same way. I do not like zero-width spaces since they are invisible, so they are not really "text" markup. Moreover, it is better to filter them out during export. Another failed idea was to use export snippet or a macro for such purpose: #+macro sep $1 *intra*{{{sep()}}}/word/, *intra*@@html:@@/word/ Important point that suggested solution works for all export backends. I do not consider explicit export snippets as a workaround since it requires code for all backends in org files.