* C-c C-, in a terminal?
@ 2021-12-28  8:25 Anssi Saari
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Anssi Saari @ 2021-12-28  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all, while it's not an ORG mode question exactly, I have a problem
with org-insert-structure-template and it's default shortcut, C-c C-, in
terminals.

As C-, isn't usually a control character in a terminal, terminals send
just the comma if I hit C-,. Some terminals (at least wsltty) do send
some kind of control sequence but I don't know if mapping other
terminals to do the same (Konsole and urxvt at least) and changing the
keys for Emacs makes sense. I'd have to do it for every terminal I ever
use.

Alternatively, any suggestions for a more terminal friendly key
combination for org-insert-structure-template in Emacs?

* Re: C-c C-, in a terminal?
@ 2021-12-28 11:10 ` Vincent Breton
From: Vincent Breton @ 2021-12-28 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Anssi Saari,

In my opinion, your first section is about org but reading others it
seams to be a question about terminals so I think your message is one
about setup of terminals or about remote protocols. Your question stay
interesting because that means some people use org-mode with terminals
and have some troubles with them, another large subject but not a
(directly) orgmode subject.  For example, I use regularly remote systems
and terminals (or intermediary parts) are not very friendly with my
IDE... They are very famous (standard) terminals as the VT100 -- on
Windows putty software emulate it -- On Linux, some software as vttest
can hep you to test the compatibility of your terminals but that
interesting subject stay far away of orgmode. You can for example read
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsOnTerminal.

Here a very simple figure (ok, vulgarisation is not probably the true 8)

terminal -> emacs -> orgmode

terminal -> ssh (for example) -> emacs -> orgmode

Sure if your trouble is about orgmode or between emacs and orgmode your
question fullfill this list and my reply too 8).

Best regards

@ 2021-12-28 23:58 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2021-12-28 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:

> Hi all, while it's not an ORG mode question exactly, I have a problem
> with org-insert-structure-template and it's default shortcut, C-c C-, in
> terminals.
>
> As C-, isn't usually a control character in a terminal, terminals send
> just the comma if I hit C-,. Some terminals (at least wsltty) do send
> some kind of control sequence but I don't know if mapping other
> terminals to do the same (Konsole and urxvt at least) and changing the
> keys for Emacs makes sense. I'd have to do it for every terminal I ever
> use.
>
> Alternatively, any suggestions for a more terminal friendly key
> combination for org-insert-structure-template in Emacs?

It is almost impossible to suggest an alternative key binding because
there are just too many variables involved. What you can use will depend
on what window manager you use and the key shortcuts it uses (which will
'steal' keys before Emacs get to see them) and on the terminal emulator
and the remote access protocol (i.e. ssh, telnet, tmux, screen etc) you
use. Then there is differences depending on what Emacs packages you are
using and what (if any) key bindings you have already defined and
whether they are global or local definitions etc.

My suggestion would be to use something like the free-keys (available in
melpa) package to identify what key bindings are available when in an
org buffer and select one of those. It may also be worthwhile
considering using something like hydra. You could define an org specific
hydra and associate all your preferred bindings to that hydra. Org can
be particularly challenging because it already has some complex key
bindings, so avoiding unexpected side effects when adding/changing
bindings can be a challenge.

* Re: C-c C-, in a terminal?
@ 2021-12-29  6:24   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-12-29  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Berry

Hey Annsi,

Awesome reply, just was lurking in this thread, and wanted to actually provide a link to what you mentioned since it looks like a cool package I might even want to try as well:
- https://melpa.org/#/free-keys

Reason being is that I actually wanted to explore running Emacs in purely a terminal setup since I actually don't use images that much compared to most people.

I know there are benefits to maybe inserting screenshots in notes, or viewing images via 'eww' but I don't really actually need it for my workflow, so running Emacs in 'xterm' or even something as heavy as Cool Retro Term sounds mega fun.

Anyway, didn't know about that package above, thanks for mentioning that one!

I also agree though that the exact replacement for the default keybinding is a hard topic.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I'm including a bunch of links I was able to research on this topic just in case this helps you out:
- https://aliquote.org/post/emacs-in-terminal/
- https://x86blog.com/emacs-an-ide-for-the-terminal/
- https://www.quora.com/Whats-the-best-way-to-use-Emacs-as-a-GUI-application-or-running-in-the-terminal?share=1
- https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/emacs-in-a-terminal-problems-with-ctrl-815964/
- https://github.com/purcell/exec-path-from-shell

Not sure if this totally relates, but since you're trying to use your terminal as an all-in-one, you might even want to check out 'Twin' as well since it can act as a Desktop Environment:
- https://github.com/cosmos72/twin

Sincerely,

Sam

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021, at 6:58 PM, Tim Cross wrote:

> Anssi Saari <as@sci.fi> writes:
>
> > Hi all, while it's not an ORG mode question exactly, I have a problem
> > with org-insert-structure-template and it's default shortcut, C-c C-, in
> > terminals.
> >
> > As C-, isn't usually a control character in a terminal, terminals send
> > just the comma if I hit C-,. Some terminals (at least wsltty) do send
> > some kind of control sequence but I don't know if mapping other
> > terminals to do the same (Konsole and urxvt at least) and changing the
> > keys for Emacs makes sense. I'd have to do it for every terminal I ever
> > use.
> >
> > Alternatively, any suggestions for a more terminal friendly key
> > combination for org-insert-structure-template in Emacs?
>
> It is almost impossible to suggest an alternative key binding because
> there are just too many variables involved. What you can use will depend
> on what window manager you use and the key shortcuts it uses (which will
> 'steal' keys before Emacs get to see them) and on the terminal emulator
> and the remote access protocol (i.e. ssh, telnet, tmux, screen etc) you
> use. Then there is differences depending on what Emacs packages you are
> using and what (if any) key bindings you have already defined and
> whether they are global or local definitions etc.
>
> My suggestion would be to use something like the free-keys (available in
> melpa) package to identify what key bindings are available when in an
> org buffer and select one of those. It may also be worthwhile
> considering using something like hydra. You could define an org specific
> hydra and associate all your preferred bindings to that hydra. Org can
> be particularly challenging because it already has some complex key
> bindings, so avoiding unexpected side effects when adding/changing
> bindings can be a challenge.

* Re: C-c C-, in a terminal?
@ 2021-12-29 16:48 ` Max Nikulin
From: Max Nikulin @ 2021-12-29 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 28/12/2021 15:25, Anssi Saari wrote:

> As C-, isn't usually a control character in a terminal, terminals send
> just the comma if I hit C-,. Some terminals (at least wsltty) do send
> some kind of control sequence but I don't know if mapping other
> terminals to do the same (Konsole and urxvt at least) and changing the
> keys for Emacs makes sense. I'd have to do it for every terminal I ever
> use.

I have never tried recipes that deals with features of modern terminal
emulators.

> Alternatively, any suggestions for a more terminal friendly key
> combination for org-insert-structure-template in Emacs?

You may try old method (require 'org-tempo)

     < s TAB

instead.