* Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-11 14:49 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-11 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'd like to be able to see all my todo items which use the STARTED
keyword in my main daily agenda view. I do most of my work from the
daily view and I can't seem to get into the habit of using other
views. Is this possible?

If there's no way to customize the view directly, is there a way I can
trigger a scheduled property for today's date when I set the todo
keyword to STARTED?

thanks

Paul

* Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-11 15:20 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-08-11 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to see all my todo items which use the STARTED
> keyword in my main daily agenda view. I do most of my work from the
> daily view and I can't seem to get into the habit of using other
> views. Is this possible?
>
> If there's no way to customize the view directly, is there a way I can
> trigger a scheduled property for today's date when I set the todo
> keyword to STARTED?

I'm a bit confused. Am I correct in understanding that you'd like to
customize the agenda view but you don't want a custom agenda view? I'm
not sure how that would work. ;)

Or is it rather that the keybinding C-c a a is "hardwired" -- i.e.,
you'd like a custom agenda view mapped to that keybinding?

Here are two solutions:

1. Map C-c a a to a custom agenda view:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
      '(("a" "Agenda"
	 ((agenda "")
	  (todo "STARTED")))))

2. For minimal customization, you could set the variable
   org-agenda-include-all-todo to t.

In this second scenario, all your active todos will be added to a
section *above* the daily agenda view. Then you can browse your
"STARTED" todos. E.g., if you want to stick with basic emacs tools
(rather than custom agenda commands), you could use "occur" to see all
filter out your STARTED todos.

A more complex option: If you want to be able to filter for your STARTED
todos you could set org-todo-state-tag-triggers to tag each of your
items with a custom tag, e.g., STARTED, whenever you switch to the
STARTED todo state. Then typing / "STARTED" in the agenda view would
show you only your started todos.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12  8:53   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> I'm a bit confused. Am I correct in understanding that you'd like to
> customize the agenda view but you don't want a custom agenda view? I'm
> not sure how that would work. ;)

No, I want to customize the daily agenda view so that it shows my
everything it does already, plus my STARTED todos. Or, make a custom
agenda which does that. I don't have a problem with using custom agenda
views, but the only ones I've been able to create are just lists of
todos, with no diary grid, etc.

> Or is it rather that the keybinding C-c a a is "hardwired" -- i.e.,
> you'd like a custom agenda view mapped to that keybinding?
>
> Here are two solutions:
>
> 1. Map C-c a a to a custom agenda view:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("a" "Agenda"
> 	 ((agenda "")
> 	  (todo "STARTED")))))
>
> 2. For minimal customization, you could set the variable
>    org-agenda-include-all-todo to t.
>
> In this second scenario, all your active todos will be added to a
> section *above* the daily agenda view. Then you can browse your
> "STARTED" todos. E.g., if you want to stick with basic emacs tools
> (rather than custom agenda commands), you could use "occur" to see all
> filter out your STARTED todos.

I'll try this to see if it suits, but I can see straight away that the
clutter might be too much. That's the whole problem with custom agenda
views, that I end up with too many items when all I want to see in the
normal course of the day is the diary grid and the dated and started
tasks.

> A more complex option: If you want to be able to filter for your STARTED
> todos you could set org-todo-state-tag-triggers to tag each of your
> items with a custom tag, e.g., STARTED, whenever you switch to the
> STARTED todo state. Then typing / "STARTED" in the agenda view would
> show you only your started todos.

I'm guessing that the triggers are only there for tags, not dates
otherwise this would be ideal. Maybe I'll have to manually schedule
anything I mark as STARTED. It's the extra step which is going to get
forgotten unfortunately.

> Best,
> Matt

Thanks for your suggestions!

Paul

* Re: Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12  9:37     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2009-08-12  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:53:17 +0100,
Paul Mead wrote:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>

> > I'm a bit confused. Am I correct in understanding that you'd like to
> > customize the agenda view but you don't want a custom agenda view? I'm
> > not sure how that would work. ;)
>
> No, I want to customize the daily agenda view so that it shows my
> everything it does already, plus my STARTED todos. Or, make a custom
> agenda which does that. I don't have a problem with using custom agenda
> views, but the only ones I've been able to create are just lists of
> todos, with no diary grid, etc.

Why don't the STARTED todos appear?  Maybe you need to define your
todo keywords appropriately?  I have mine as:

org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "INPROGRESS(i@)" "WAITING(w@)" "|" "DONE(d@)" "CANCELLED(c@)"))

and all TODO, INPROGRESS and WAITING todos appear in the default
agenda view (C-c a a) for me.

* Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12 10:06       ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Why don't the STARTED todos appear?  Maybe you need to define your
> todo keywords appropriately?  I have mine as:
>
> org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "INPROGRESS(i@)" "WAITING(w@)" "|" "DONE(d@)" "CANCELLED(c@)"))
>
> and all TODO, INPROGRESS and WAITING todos appear in the default
> agenda view (C-c a a) for me.

Mine are correctly defined, but they only appear in the daily agenda
view if they have a scheduled date or deadline on them - normal
behaviour I thought.

I *only* want dated, scheduled, deadlined and STARTED.

* Re: Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12 10:14         ` Carsten Dominik
                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-12 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>

>> Why don't the STARTED todos appear?  Maybe you need to define your
>> todo keywords appropriately?  I have mine as:
>>
>> org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "INPROGRESS(i@)"
>> "WAITING(w@)" "|" "DONE(d@)" "CANCELLED(c@)"))
>>
>> and all TODO, INPROGRESS and WAITING todos appear in the default
>> agenda view (C-c a a) for me.
>
> Mine are correctly defined, but they only appear in the daily agenda
> view if they have a scheduled date or deadline on them - normal
> behaviour I thought.
>
> I *only* want dated, scheduled, deadlined and STARTED.

I think you want a block agenda, first block the normal agenda,
second block a TODO search for STARTED.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12 10:16           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Paul Mead

On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:14 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Paul Mead wrote:
>
>> Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>>

>>> Why don't the STARTED todos appear?  Maybe you need to define your
>>> todo keywords appropriately?  I have mine as:
>>>
>>> org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO(t)" "INPROGRESS(i@)"
>>> "WAITING(w@)" "|" "DONE(d@)" "CANCELLED(c@)"))
>>>
>>> and all TODO, INPROGRESS and WAITING todos appear in the default
>>> agenda view (C-c a a) for me.
>>
>> Mine are correctly defined, but they only appear in the daily agenda
>> view if they have a scheduled date or deadline on them - normal
>> behaviour I thought.
>>
>> I *only* want dated, scheduled, deadlined and STARTED.
>
> I think you want a block agenda, first block the normal agenda,
> second block a TODO search for STARTED.

Ah, sorry, this is exactly what Matt proposed.

> - Carsten

=======================
PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS
=======================
prof.dr. Carsten Dominik				dominik@uva.nl
Astronomical Institute 'Anton Pannekoek' 	 	www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik
Faculty of Science, University of Amsterdam		phone 	+31-20-5257477/7491
SCIENCE PARK 904, ROOM C4-106			fax   	+31-20-5257484
1098 XH Amsterdam, The Netherlands
mail: PO BOX 94249, 1090GE, Amsterdam

* Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12 10:27           ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>> I *only* want dated, scheduled, deadlined and STARTED.
>
> I think you want a block agenda, first block the normal agenda,
> second block a TODO search for STARTED.
>
> - Carsten

I didn't know you could combine different blocks like this, but that
sounds exactly what I need. I'll do some reading about block agendas
and come back if I have any trouble.

@ 2009-08-12 10:40             ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-08-12 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Paul Mead<paul.d.mead@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>> I *only* want dated, scheduled, deadlined and STARTED.
>>
>> I think you want a block agenda, first block the normal agenda,
>> second block a TODO search for STARTED.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> I didn't know you could combine different blocks like this, but that
> sounds exactly what I need. I'll do some reading about block agendas
> and come back if I have any trouble.

You may want to take a look at an older post from Matthew Lundin for
inspiration here http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/10819

--
Manish

* Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12 10:52           ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I think you want a block agenda, first block the normal agenda,
> second block a TODO search for STARTED.
>
> - Carsten

Hey, it worked! Here's what I used:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
           '(("a" "Custom block Agenda"
              ((agenda "")
               (todo "STARTED")))))

Perfect, thanks all.

@ 2009-08-12 10:56             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-08-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 12, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Paul Mead wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>> I think you want a block agenda, first block the normal agenda,
>> second block a TODO search for STARTED.
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Hey, it worked! Here's what I used:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>           '(("a" "Custom block Agenda"
>              ((agenda "")
>               (todo "STARTED")))))

Looks remarkably like Matt's proposal.  Did you miss that?

- Carsten

@ 2009-08-12 11:10               ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> You may want to take a look at an older post from Matthew Lundin for
> inspiration here http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/10819

Wow, there's some pretty good stuff there - I may appropriate some of
that, thanks.

* Re: Customizing main Agenda view??
@ 2009-08-12 11:11               ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Looks remarkably like Matt's proposal.  Did you miss that?
>
> - Carsten

Yes I did, I thought I knew what a block agenda looked like, so I
skipped over that suggestion - my apologies to Matt!

@ 2009-08-12 11:13   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-08-12 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> 1. Map C-c a a to a custom agenda view:
>
> (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
>       '(("a" "Agenda"
> 	 ((agenda "")
> 	  (todo "STARTED")))))

Hi Matt

turns out this was exactly what I needed, thanks!

@ 2009-08-13 20:20     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-08-13 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:13:14 +0100,
Paul Mead wrote:
> > 1. Map C-c a a to a custom agenda view:
> >
> > (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
> >       '(("a" "Agenda"
> > 	 ((agenda "")
> > 	  (todo "STARTED")))))
> >
> turns out this was exactly what I needed, thanks!

You are welcome! I'm glad it helped.

Best,
Matt