From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: text after sub headings?
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 20:15:36 +0700	[thread overview]

On 25/12/2021 03:17, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> It may have larger margins, smaller font, distinct font face,
>> another background color, box around or just rule at some side, so
>> readers have clear notion where it ends and main material continues.
>
> This is complex layout, something that DTP programs (InDesign, Quark,
> Scribus) do very well as they work on the concept of multiple threads of
> connected text boxes.

It is not necessary complex layout. It is a decoration similar to
pictures in fiction books. Unlike figures such additions are not
strictly important to understand material. In printed form it is like
figures however. Insets are appropriate in particular places, but
tolerate some shift due to paging.

This particular examples has internal structure:
http://algorithmics.lsi.upc.edu/docs/Dasgupta-Papadimitriou-Vazirani.pdf#page=135

Book reader on small phone screen might require a tap to show all
additional material. On wide screen in may appear on margins and visible
by default. In Org it migh remain collapsed when heading is expanded
while text around is visible.

I have not worked with complex documents in DTP programs. In my opinion,
LaTeX deals much better with figures (plots, drawings) in scientific
papers than office software. When users complains that LaTeX puts at
their figures and table at the end of the document it usually means that
they copy-pasted markup explicitly forbidding most of usual places for
floats (e.g. page completely filled with figures).

It is possible to create insets in Org Mode document, but it is not
native support.

In a bit broader sense insets do not violates tree structure

- Branch: Section Heading
   - Leaf: section text
   - Branch: Inset section Heading
     - Leaf: inset section text
     - Branch: Inset Subsection Heading 1
       - Leaf: Inset subsection 1 text
     - Branch: Inset Subsection Heading 2
       - Leaf: Inset subsection 2 text
   - Leaf: section text continues

Another example when it is convenient to have text itermixed with
headings is notes. Tree structure is too rigid, particular note may be
appropriate to several topics. Important point that sometimes it is
better to have particular order within some topic, if ordering is not
required than all links may appear before subheadings. So not text is
put to one topic, other ones contains links. Ideally it should appear like

* Topic 2
   some general notes
*** Note 2.1...
*** Note 2.2...
   [[#note_from_other_topic1]]
   contains some interesting details
*** Note 2.4...
   [[#note_from_other_topic2]]
   contains other interesting details
*** Note 2.6...

It would be nice to have links visually distinct from headings and there
is no real reason to collapse link if description text is just a couple
of line.

I do not ask to change anything. I admit that nobody has bright idea how
to properly implement it. I am just against statements that Org is ideal
in respect to sectioning and covers all use cases. My opinion that it is
limitation, there are some workarounds and trade-offs for each
particular case. Anyway there is no unambiguously better tool.