* Howto convert a complete bibtex file into an orgmode file?
@ 2012-11-24 17:05 michael.zombok
From: michael.zombok @ 2012-11-24 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I want to migrate all my research papers and references to orgmode, but
I was not able to figure out howto read/convert an existing bibtex file
(say literatur.bib) to an orgmode file (say literature.org) where each
entry from literatur.bib gets an heading in literatur.org with
attributes corresponding to the stuff from the bibtex entry in
literatur.bib.

As far as I was able to find out, this is only possible for a single
entry via 'org-bibtex-read'.

Is there something like 'org-bibtex-read' for a whole file?

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Michael

* Re: Howto convert a complete bibtex file into an orgmode file?
@ 2012-12-23 17:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-23 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael.zombok; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Michael,

michael.zombok@googlemail.com writes:

> I want to migrate all my research papers and references to orgmode, but
> I was not able to figure out howto read/convert an existing bibtex file
> (say literatur.bib) to an orgmode file (say literature.org) where each
> entry from literatur.bib gets an heading in literatur.org with
> attributes corresponding to the stuff from the bibtex entry in
> literatur.bib.
>
> As far as I was able to find out, this is only possible for a single
> entry via 'org-bibtex-read'.
>
> Is there something like 'org-bibtex-read' for a whole file?

For what is worth, I'm not using org-bibtex.el anymore but I would find
such a feature interesting.  Hopefully someone can have a look some day.

Cheers,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Howto convert a complete bibtex file into an orgmode file?
@ 2012-12-24 22:10 ` Florian Beck
From: Florian Beck @ 2012-12-24 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 11/24/2012 06:05 PM, michael.zombok@googlemail.com wrote:

> As far as I was able to find out, this is only possible for a single
> entry via 'org-bibtex-read'.

I think I did something like

M-: (while (re-search-forward "^@.*{" nil t) (org-bibtex-read))

Refine the regular expression, if you have any macros.

* Re: Howto convert a complete bibtex file into an orgmode file?
@ 2012-12-26 15:43   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-12-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Beck; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Florian Beck <fb@miszellen.de> writes:

> On 11/24/2012 06:05 PM, michael.zombok@googlemail.com wrote:
>
>> As far as I was able to find out, this is only possible for a single
>> entry via 'org-bibtex-read'.
>
> I think I did something like
>
> M-: (while (re-search-forward "^@.*{" nil t) (org-bibtex-read))
>
> Refine the regular expression, if you have any macros.

I just added three functions to org-bibtex.el which should help in these
use cases.  Form the git log,

    import whole bibtex files into Org-mode

    * lisp/org-bibtex.el (org-bibtex-read-buffer): Reads all bibtex entries
      in a buffer.
      (org-bibtex-read-file): Read all bibtex entries in a file.
      (org-bibtex-import-from-file): Import all bibtex entries from a file
      into the current buffer.

The `org-bibtex-import-from-file' function should be the easiest way to
import whole bibtex files into the current Org-mode file.  Be forewarned
that it may create many top level bibtex entries.

Hope this helps,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: Howto convert a complete bibtex file into an orgmode file?
@ 2012-12-28  8:56     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-28  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Florian Beck, emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> I just added three functions to org-bibtex.el which should help in these
> use cases.

Nice, thanks a lot!

--
 Bastien