From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: after installing python3.6 on Ubuntu 16.04, org files open with errors
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 00:12:09 +0700	[thread overview]

On 14/11/2021 01:39, Tim Cross wrote:
> Uwe Brauer writes:
>> Well in that case I'd rather would prefer 20.04 a LTS release. From
>> experience I know it will take me days till everything is working again,
>> but maybe it is time to do that step.
>
> I would check what the status was with Python in 20.04. I'm not sure
> they had completed the migration to v3 at that point and it was still a
> mixed v2/v3 setup. Pretty sure by 21.04 it was all v3.

Ubuntu-20.04: Python-3.8 is default, python-3.9 is available. Inkscape
depends on python2:any.

dpkg -S /usr/bin/python
python-is-python2: /usr/bin/python

I have not noticed any problem with python3.

If some packages are considered as too old, e.g. Emacs-26.3 then
Ubuntu-21.10 should be considered. At least it will be possible to
upgrade it to Ubuntu-22.04 LTS in a single hop. Another option for rare
upgrades is Debian stable.

> One thing I do find useful is to upgrade a virtual first. I use
> virt-manager to create a virtual machine running my current version and
> then upgrade that to see how the upgrade goes.

I tried Ubuntu-20.10 and Ubuntu-21.10 in qemu. With the former I faced a
really weird bug with depressed shift in gdm3 password field (you have
no chance to notice that only first letter typed with shift is
capitalized), with the latter firefox does not always redraw tabs after
switching them using Ctrl+PgUp or Ctrl+PgDown. Booting live image
directly works better and allows to test hardware support, e.g. sound. I
have not tried 21.10 in this way, with 20.10 default wayland session
cursor on the external monitor was too huge to make point where it
points to rather uncertain.

Problems with upgrade are usually caused by rarely used packages. So
unless precise configuration is tried (dpkg --get-selections, dpkg
--set-selections, third-party packages), the problem will not be noticed
in VM. On the other hand installing all packages makes image size
noticeably large.

>> That issue I could solve meanwhile but only to receive another error
>> ipython3 from my Ubuntu distribution but that corresponds to python 3.5
>> not 3.6 hm, ☹️

ipython may be installed to python 3.6 as well.