While trying out `org-mouse', I noticed two semi-related issues with checkboxes. First, intermediate-state checkboxes (like [-]) aren't clickable. Second, if the checkboxes are inside a block and the theme gives the block a background color, the block's background is removed behind the checkbox. To see both of these in action: $ cat file.org * Regular - [X] Checked. - [-] Half-checked. - [ ] Not checked. * In block #+begin_src org - [X] Checked. - [-] Half-checked. - [ ] Not checked. #+end_src $ emacs -Q --eval '(progn (setq org-modules '"'"'(org-mouse)) (custom-set-faces '"'"'(org-block ((t :background "green")))))' file.org The attached patch fixes both of these issues. For the first problem, maybe it would be useful to put the regexp for checkboxes in a variable somewhere so it doesn't get out of sync. I wasn't sure though, so I went with the simpler solution for now. My FSF copyright assignment should be on file, but let me know if there are any issues there.