emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
@ 2021-08-08 22:33 Kyle Meyer
  2021-08-09  7:10 ` Arthur Miller
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-08-08 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Marco,

In 61e083732 (org-attach: Possibly delete empty attach directory,
2021-07-09), you added a call to directory-empty-p.  This function was
introduced in Emacs's 0806075520 (Add directory-empty-p and new argument
COUNT for directory-files-*, 2020-11-02) and hasn't yet made it into a
release.

Could you update org-attach-sync to avoid using directory-empty-p (e.g.,
by inlining it or by adding a compatibility alias)?

Thanks.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-08 22:33 org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28) Kyle Meyer
@ 2021-08-09  7:10 ` Arthur Miller
  2021-08-10 20:52   ` Marco Wahl
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Arthur Miller @ 2021-08-09  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Marco Wahl, emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Hi Marco,
>
> In 61e083732 (org-attach: Possibly delete empty attach directory,
> 2021-07-09), you added a call to directory-empty-p.  This function was
> introduced in Emacs's 0806075520 (Add directory-empty-p and new argument
> COUNT for directory-files-*, 2020-11-02) and hasn't yet made it into a
> release.
>
> Could you update org-attach-sync to avoid using directory-empty-p (e.g.,
> by inlining it or by adding a compatibility alias)?
>
> Thanks.

Can this help:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp

(when (version< emacs-version "28")
  (defun directory-empty-p (file-name)
    "Check if a directory contains any other files then dot-files"
    (when (file-directory-p file-name)
      (null (directory-files file-name nil
                             directory-files-no-dot-files-regexp t)))))

#+end_src


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-09  7:10 ` Arthur Miller
@ 2021-08-10 20:52   ` Marco Wahl
  2021-08-11 16:16     ` Maxim Nikulin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Marco Wahl @ 2021-08-10 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arthur Miller, Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> In 61e083732 (org-attach: Possibly delete empty attach directory,
>> 2021-07-09), you added a call to directory-empty-p.  This function was
>> introduced in Emacs's 0806075520 (Add directory-empty-p and new argument
>> COUNT for directory-files-*, 2020-11-02) and hasn't yet made it into a
>> release.
>>
>> Could you update org-attach-sync to avoid using directory-empty-p (e.g.,
>> by inlining it or by adding a compatibility alias)?

> Can this help:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>
> (when (version< emacs-version "28")
>   (defun directory-empty-p (file-name)
>     "Check if a directory contains any other files then dot-files"
>     (when (file-directory-p file-name)
>       (null (directory-files file-name nil
>                              directory-files-no-dot-files-regexp t)))))
>
> #+end_src

Thanks Kyle and Arthur!

Starting from Arthur's suggestion and Kyle's hint to the compatibility
alias I put org-directory-empty-p into org-compat.el.  So there is
org-directory-empty-p now which provides the functionality of
directory-empty-p from Emacs 28 for smaller version Emacsen.

org-directory-empty-p is defined in org-compat.el.  From there
org-directory-empty-p can (and hopefully will) be easily dropped when
the minimum required Emacs version for Org switches to 28.


Thanks again and best regards,
--
Marco


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-10 20:52   ` Marco Wahl
@ 2021-08-11 16:16     ` Maxim Nikulin
  2021-08-11 21:17       ` Marco Wahl
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2021-08-11 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 11/08/2021 03:52, Marco Wahl wrote:
>> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>>
>>> In 61e083732 (org-attach: Possibly delete empty attach directory,
>>> 2021-07-09), you added a call to directory-empty-p.  This function was
>>> introduced in Emacs's 0806075520 (Add directory-empty-p and new argument
>>> COUNT for directory-files-*, 2020-11-02) and hasn't yet made it into a
>>> release.
>>>
>>> Could you update org-attach-sync to avoid using directory-empty-p (e.g.,
>>> by inlining it or by adding a compatibility alias)?
> 
> Starting from Arthur's suggestion and Kyle's hint to the compatibility
> alias I put org-directory-empty-p into org-compat.el.  So there is
> org-directory-empty-p now which provides the functionality of
> directory-empty-p from Emacs 28 for smaller version Emacsen.

Unfortunately current code causes a compiler warning at least when 
Emacs-25.2 is used:

Compiling single /home/ubuntu/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.el...

In end of data:
org-compat.el:1255:1:Warning: the function ‘directory-empty-p’ is not 
known to
     be defined.


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-11 16:16     ` Maxim Nikulin
@ 2021-08-11 21:17       ` Marco Wahl
  2021-08-12 11:57         ` Maxim Nikulin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Marco Wahl @ 2021-08-11 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Nikulin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/08/2021 03:52, Marco Wahl wrote:
>>> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>>>
>>>> In 61e083732 (org-attach: Possibly delete empty attach directory,
>>>> 2021-07-09), you added a call to directory-empty-p.  This function was
>>>> introduced in Emacs's 0806075520 (Add directory-empty-p and new argument
>>>> COUNT for directory-files-*, 2020-11-02) and hasn't yet made it into a
>>>> release.
>>>>
>>>> Could you update org-attach-sync to avoid using directory-empty-p (e.g.,
>>>> by inlining it or by adding a compatibility alias)?
>> Starting from Arthur's suggestion and Kyle's hint to the
>> compatibility
>> alias I put org-directory-empty-p into org-compat.el.  So there is
>> org-directory-empty-p now which provides the functionality of
>> directory-empty-p from Emacs 28 for smaller version Emacsen.
>
> Unfortunately current code causes a compiler warning at least when
> Emacs-25.2 is used:
>
> Compiling single /home/ubuntu/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.el...
>
> In end of data:
> org-compat.el:1255:1:Warning: the function ‘directory-empty-p’ is not
> known to
>     be defined.

Thanks.

How make the compiler happy?

What about adding a declare-function for directory-empty-p?  Suggestion
for org-compat.el:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;;; Emacs < 28.1 compatibility
(if (version< emacs-version "28")
    (defun org-directory-empty-p (dir)
      "Return t if DIR names an existing directory containing no other files."
      (and (file-directory-p dir)
           (null (directory-files dir nil directory-files-no-dot-files-regexp t))))
  (declare-function directory-empty-p "files" (dir)) ; <-- NEW LINE TO MAKE THE COMPILER HAPPY.
  (defalias 'org-directory-empty-p #'directory-empty-p))
#+end_src

Could you please check the compile with this modification?


Best regards,
-- 
Marco


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-11 21:17       ` Marco Wahl
@ 2021-08-12 11:57         ` Maxim Nikulin
  2021-08-15  9:11           ` Marco Wahl
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2021-08-12 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/08/2021 04:17, Marco Wahl wrote:
> Maxim Nikulin writes:
>>
>> Compiling single /home/ubuntu/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.el...
>>
>> In end of data:
>> org-compat.el:1255:1:Warning: the function ‘directory-empty-p’ is not
>> known to
>>      be defined.
...
> 
> How make the compiler happy?

I have never fought with this kind of problem. After looking at the 
other constructs in the org-compat.el file, I have tried

(if (fboundp 'directory-empty-p)
     (defalias 'org-directory-empty-p #'directory-empty-p)
   (defun org-directory-empty-p (dir)
     ; ...

I have no idea if there are any drawbacks of such approach, I can only 
say that such form suppresses the warning.

It seems, version comparison is sensible when an existing function gets 
new arguments, not in the case of completely new function.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-12 11:57         ` Maxim Nikulin
@ 2021-08-15  9:11           ` Marco Wahl
  2021-08-15 16:27             ` Maxim Nikulin
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Marco Wahl @ 2021-08-15  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Nikulin, Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Compiling single /home/ubuntu/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.el...
>>>
>>> In end of data:
>>> org-compat.el:1255:1:Warning: the function ‘directory-empty-p’ is not
>>> known to
>>>      be defined.

> I have never fought with this kind of problem. After looking at the
> other constructs in the org-compat.el file, I have tried
>
> (if (fboundp 'directory-empty-p)
>     (defalias 'org-directory-empty-p #'directory-empty-p)
>   (defun org-directory-empty-p (dir)
>     ; ...
>
> I have no idea if there are any drawbacks of such approach, I can only
> say that such form suppresses the warning.

Thanks Maxim and Kyle!

The latter suggestion landed in master a few minutes ago.


Have a great day!
--
Marco


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28)
  2021-08-15  9:11           ` Marco Wahl
@ 2021-08-15 16:27             ` Maxim Nikulin
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Maxim Nikulin @ 2021-08-15 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 15/08/2021 16:11, Marco Wahl wrote:
> Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>>>> Compiling single /home/ubuntu/org-mode/lisp/org-compat.el...
>>>>
>>>> In end of data:
>>>> org-compat.el:1255:1:Warning: the function ‘directory-empty-p’ is not
>>>> known to
>>>>       be defined.
> 
>> I have never fought with this kind of problem. After looking at the
>> other constructs in the org-compat.el file, I have tried
>>
>> (if (fboundp 'directory-empty-p)
>>      (defalias 'org-directory-empty-p #'directory-empty-p)
>>    (defun org-directory-empty-p (dir)
>>      ; ...
> 
> The latter suggestion landed in master a few minutes ago.

Thank you. The warning has disappeared for current master HEAD and 
Emacs-25.2.

Maybe a brief comment in org-compat.el clarifying usage of version 
comparison vs. `fboundp' would be helpful to avoid similar issues in 
future. E.g. I am unsure concerning simple < vs. version< (whether 
attempt of version check could cause a compatibility issue). Fortunately 
latest change does not use any of them.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2021-08-15 16:28 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2021-08-08 22:33 org-attach-sync uses directory-empty-p (new in Emacs 28) Kyle Meyer
2021-08-09  7:10 ` Arthur Miller
2021-08-10 20:52   ` Marco Wahl
2021-08-11 16:16     ` Maxim Nikulin
2021-08-11 21:17       ` Marco Wahl
2021-08-12 11:57         ` Maxim Nikulin
2021-08-15  9:11           ` Marco Wahl
2021-08-15 16:27             ` Maxim Nikulin

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this inbox:

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).