* Multilingual quotes inside paragraphs
@ 2021-07-26  9:25 Juan Manuel Macías
From: Juan Manuel Macías @ 2021-07-26  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: orgmode

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with `org-link-set-parameters' to create multilingual
quotes (chunks of text) inside paragraphs. Although I focus mainly on
the export to LaTeX with babel and csquotes packages, I also want extend
support for HTML and odt output. I leave here some sketches.

For the `:face' parameter I use for laziness a face already defined in
Magit :-). `:display' with the value 'full can be removed.

First, we have the LaTeX babel command \foreignlanguage{lang}{chunk of
text}. The language can be expressed by abbreviation ("de" for German;
here I reuse `org-latex-babel-language-alist') or explicitly preceded by
a "!": "!german" (the reason for the latter is that in babel we can
define new languages):

[[lang:de][some text in German]]

or

[[lang:!german][some text in German]]

The code:

(org-link-set-parameters "lang"
			   :display 'full
			   :face 'magit-header-line-key
			   :export (lambda (target desc format)
				     (cond
				      ((eq format 'latex)
				       (let ((langs org-latex-babel-language-alist))
					 (concat
					  "\\foreignlanguage{"
					  (if (string-match-p "!" target)
					      (replace-regexp-in-string "!" "" target)
					    (cdr (assoc target langs)))
					  "}{" desc "}")))
                                          ;; TODO
				      ((or (eq format 'html)
					   (eq format 'odt))
				       (format "%s" desc)))))

We also have this command from the csquotes package for foreign quoted
texts (loads only the hyphenation rules for the language and sets the
text between quotation marks): \hyphentextquote{lang}{quoted text}. For
this I have defined a new link "qlang":

  (org-link-set-parameters "qlang"
			   :display 'full
			   :face 'magit-header-line-key
			   :export (lambda (target desc format)
				     (cond
				      ((eq format 'latex)
				       (let ((langs org-latex-babel-language-alist))
					 (concat
					  "\\hyphentextquote{"
					  (if (string-match-p "!" target)
					      (replace-regexp-in-string "!" "" target)
					    (cdr (assoc target langs)))
					  "}{" desc "}")))
				      ((or (eq format 'html)
					   (eq format 'odt))
				       ;; TODO (use here the proper quotes)
				       (format "«%s»" desc)))))

We can even make the citations come out in color when we are in draft
mode, thanks to the LaTeX ifdraft package:

(org-link-set-parameters "qlang"
			 :display 'full
			 :face 'magit-header-line-key
			 :export (lambda (target desc format)
				   (cond
				    ((eq format 'latex)
				     (let ((langs org-latex-babel-language-alist))
				       (concat
					"{\\ifdraft{\\color{teal}}{}\\hyphentextquote{"
					(if (string-match-p "!" target)
					    (replace-regexp-in-string "!" "" target)
					  (cdr (assoc target langs)))
					"}{"
					desc "}}")))
				    ((or (eq format 'html)