From: Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Comments break up a paragraph when writing one-setence-per-line
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:13:14 +0700	[thread overview]

On 21/07/2021 22:22, Eric S Fraga wrote:
> On Wednesday, 21 Jul 2021 at 21:48, Maxim Nikulin wrote:
>> It is at least fragile. HTML export results in separate paragraphs:
>
> Yes, I said "if exporting to LaTeX"... ;-)
>
>> I am unsure, but "#+latex:" probably belongs to "Keywords" that are
>> elements, so it should end a paragraph. If such interpretation is
>> correct than either LaTeX exporter has a bug or syntax description
>> should be justified.
>
> No, I don't think of it as a keyword and it cannot end a paragraph as it
> would then break any document that uses such constructs.  Not sure what
> to call it but it falls into the same category as inline directives like
> @@latex:...@@.  And, in fact, this would work as well as the first
> example, again failing for HTML export:
> (untested) :-)

"@@backend:@@" aka Export Snippet is an "object", not "element"
thus is should not start paragraph
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Export_Snippets

Though... With LaTeX you should be careful

---- >8 ----
One sentence is here.
@@html:inline HTML@@
Second sentence.
---- 8< ----

Export to LaTeX:
---- >8 ----
One sentence is here.

Second sentence.
---- 8< ----

"@@latex:@@" line in HTML export generates empty line but does not break
the paragraph. "#+html:" construct splits paragraphs:

One sentence is here.
#+html: <!-- HTML -->
Second sentence.

One sentence is here.
<!-- HTML -->
Second sentence.

I find behavior of HTML exporter more consistent but partially the
difference originates in distinct interpretation of empty lines.

P.S. There are two types of comments: ones that should be exported as
comments and that should be completely removed. "#+latex: %" comments
leak to LaTeX, though they will be stripped during generation of PDF. So
depending of what format you should provide, such behavior may be
acceptable or not.