* org-contacts and column mode
@ 2011-03-10 14:05 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-03-10 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I have a buffer visiting one of my org-contacts files, say contacts.org,

and if I have turned on "column mode" in the buffer visiting
contacts.org via org-columns ("C-x C-x C-c")

then, when trying to tab-complete in a *Message* buffer

To: George <tab>

in the event that George identifies an entry in the file contacts.org, I
get an error report in the minibuffer:

   Text is read-only: "Type `e' to edit property"

If I quit column mode in the appropriate buffer, then tab-completion
resumes working correctly.

--
George McNinch <gmcninch(at)gmail.com>
http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu

* Re: org-contacts and column mode
@ 2011-03-11 11:28 ` Julien Danjou
From: Julien Danjou @ 2011-03-11 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Mar 10 2011, George McNinch wrote:

> If I have a buffer visiting one of my org-contacts files, say contacts.org,
>
> and if I have turned on "column mode" in the buffer visiting
> contacts.org via org-columns ("C-x C-x C-c")
>
> then, when trying to tab-complete in a *Message* buffer
>
> To: George <tab>
>
> in the event that George identifies an entry in the file contacts.org, I
> get an error report in the minibuffer:
>
>    Text is read-only: "Type `e' to edit property"
>
> If I quit column mode in the appropriate buffer, then tab-completion
> resumes working correctly.

Unable to reproduce. Maybe M-x toggle-debug-on-error would throw a
backtrace?

--
Julien Danjou
❱ http://julien.danjou.info

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: org-contacts and column mode
@ 2011-03-11 18:56   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2011-03-11 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Julien Danjou

    >> if I have turned on "column mode" in the buffer visiting
    >> contacts.org via org-columns ("C-x C-x C-c")
    >>
    >> then, when trying to tab-complete in a *Message* buffer
    >>
    >> To: George <tab>
    >>
    >> in the event that George identifies an entry in the file
    >> contacts.org, I get an error report in the minibuffer:
    >>
    >> Text is read-only: "Type `e' to edit property"
    >>
    >> If I quit column mode in the appropriate buffer, then
    >> tab-completion resumes working correctly.

    Julien> Unable to reproduce. Maybe M-x toggle-debug-on-error would
    Julien> throw a backtrace?

Well, I didn't manage to trigger a backtrace. But I did observe the
following:

the error report seems to appear only if

org-contacts-files

contains more than one contact file.

e.g. when this line

,----
| (custom-set-variables
| '(org-contacts-files (quote
| ("/home/george/org-files/contacts/contacts.org"
| "/home/george/org-files/contacts/contacts-math.org"
| "/home/george/org-files/contacts/contacts-family.org"
| "/home/george/org-files/contacts/contacts-friends.org"
| "/home/george/org-files/contacts/contacts-tufts.org")))
| )
`----

appears in custom.el, I see the error, but when it is replaced by

,----
| (custom-set-variables
| '(org-contacts-files (quote
| ("/home/george/org-files/contacts/contacts.org"))
| )
`----

I don't.

--