* Turn Emacs holidays into Org appointments?
@ 2022-02-07 19:12 David Rogers
From: David Rogers @ 2022-02-07 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode list

Hello

I'm using Org-mode to organize readings and music for Christian
church services. These services are scheduled according to certain
holidays, and Emacs already "knows" all of the holidays that
matter for this discussion - they're viewable by selecting the
appropriate settings for the calendar. (The ones that don't matter
right now are those that are simply X days or X weeks from the
important ones.)

I don't currently view or use any of the Emacs holidays as they
were intended, and I don't really need to.

Is there a way that I can use something like the Emacs holiday
forms - shown at
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Holiday-Customizing.html
- but from inside an Org-mode appointment timestamp, so that I can
use the result in my "Work2022.org" file? Here's a mock example of
what I'm trying to do:

* Easter
<(holiday-easter-etc 0)>
** stuff for Easter

* The Sunday after Easter
<(holiday-easter-etc 7)>
** stuff for after Easter

This way, there would be less chance for error on my part, and the
scheduling lines would stay the same from year to year, rather
than having to look up individual dates and re-write them.

I'd prefer them to show up as appointments and schedules that I
can modify and rearrange one by one in the scheduling lines of my
Org files, rather than as a group of holidays that get inserted
into the agenda from a holidays file - but maybe that just isn't
how Emacs is set up.

I suppose if I ended up with my own extremely customized holidays
file, and I added a link in each day's Org subtree to the
corresponding line in the holidays file, that could be a
workaround . . .

--
Thanks
David