From: Maxim Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Yet another browser extension for capturing notes - LinkRemark
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 16:16:06 +0700	[thread overview]

On 26/12/2020, Samuel Wales wrote:

> [... i can imagine great things possible with such extensions. for
> example, you could have sets of tabs, selected by right click in
> firefox, to save to a bunch of org entries.  then you could load that
> particular set of entries into firefox whenever you want.  and you
> could keep notes on each page and move the entries wherever you want.
> this would be useful for such things as "i am researching rice
> cookers; these are my tabs, but i don't want them cluttering firefox
> and i want them with my org notes and to make notes on them and will
> re-load them into firefox when i want to revisit".]

It should be possible since some tab management extension were used in
mozilla to evaluate if webextensions are mature enough and if support of
XUL add-ons could be dropped. On the other hand do not expect such
feature soon. A kind of semi-blocker is absence of automatic tests to
run before every release, and it will require a lot of time.

In the meanwhile, have you looked at the following comment?
https://github.com/sprig/org-capture-extension/issues/12#issuecomment-323569334
alphapapa commented Aug 20, 2017

> You can do this with the "Copy all URLs" extension (ID:
> djdmadneanknadilpjiknlnanaolmbfk). Use this as the custom format (note
> the linebreak):
>
> [[$url][$title]]

I am almost sure that similar extension should exist for Firefox as well.

Some points should be clarified in my opinion

- Do you expect that metadata should be captured in addition to URLs and
titles? Browsers can unload some tabs making page content unavailable.
- Are you going to capture reviews of "rice cookers" that could be
considered as ordinary pages or you are going to save items from online
stores? I do not current state of affairs but I have heard about some
activity for special metadata that allows search engines to display
products in a special way. Could you inspect head element of pages in
your favorite stores contains desired metadata using page source or
inspect element tools?
- Should tab group be captured as single Org heading or it should be a
tree with a section per tab? I am not sure that capture will have no
problem with subtree. Certainly Emacs interface for org-protocol +
capture are not suitable for sending each tab as a separate link.
Another option is to create nested lists, anyway org formatter in my
extension need improvements. Are you expecting headings subtree or
nested lists?

> [now if i can only debug the extra-blank-lines-in-capture problem.]

Fully agree that it is really annoying. It is among high priority items
in my TODO list.

Accidentally I pressed =C-x C-o= and discovered
[[help:delete-blank-lines]] innerText is not exactly the same as
selection range toString but the rules could work in a similar way.
Table rows, floating and absolutely positioned elements require
newlines. Such elements are often abused by designers.
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/dom.html#dom-innertext