From: Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
To: Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: Git recommendations
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 19:22:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Ross Patterson <me@rpatterson.net> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I've just spent a short time giving the crash test dummy procedure to a
>> few git interfaces for emacs. All have their benefits. A lot have their
>> negatives, But my immediate favourite for anyone thinking of using emacs
>> interface to git for org is the following:
>>
>> http://tsgates.cafe24.com/git/git-emacs.html#sec1
>>
>> It doesn't come with a lot of default key bindings but the two most
>> important for those familiar with vc-backend are there:
>>
>> C-x v v
>> and
>> C-x v =
>>
>> git-diff interfaces nicely to ediff.
>>
>> And the best thing is the one key press from git-status to bring up the
>> wonderful "gitk" GUI interface which I wasn't aware of! Truly brilliant
>> admin interface for git external to emacs.
>>
>> The best part of all is that it provides simple easy to see icons in the
>> emacs status bar to show the git status. magic and egg tend to
>> git-status centric as opposed to file centric. emacs-git is a nice
>> mixture. It palms off the log/history interface to gitk - no need to
>> reinvent the wheel.
>>
>> Simple, powerful, extensible. Recommended.
>>
>> Oh, but missing staging .... which magit and egg support but vc-git,
>> git.el and emacs-git do not. I think ...
>
> I'm curious, did you evaluate dvc?
>
> http://www.xsteve.at/prg/emacs_dvc/dvc.html

Nope. Damn. And why not? Because there was not a link on the Emacs Wiki
for Git interfaces. And it didnt turn up in my basic Google.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Git

:-(

> It aims to be a common emacs front end for most distributed version
> control systems.

Thanks for the pointer.

I'll take a look. I like common interfaces. There's enough key strokes
to remember in emacs as it is.

But I must say emacs-git impresses me the more I play with it. And git
itself just seems to be a solution that was waiting for a problem to
invent it. It's simply "nice and clean" from what i can gather of it.

regards

r.