Thanks Dan! My idea was to go through a long imported table and quickly categorize the different rows into a number of predefined categories, without having to actually type the category for each row. Can I do that? If babel is a way, I think I would prefer to use python as I am familiar with it. But I have not used it with babel, is that possible? Best regards, Johan On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Dan Davison wrote: > Johan Ekh writes: > > > Hi all, > > I wonder if it is possible to tag rows in a table? > > > > For example, if I have a table of expenses, i.e. columns with "date", > "note" and "sum", > > and then want to group the entries into different categories such as > "groceries", "car" etc. > > > > Can I do this someway? > > Hi Johan, > > You can't attach metadata such as tags to table rows. Two things come to > mind. > > 1. If you just want the table for visual purposes (as opposed for doing > calculations with it), then you could use column-view. I.e. you would > have a subtree for groceries and a subtree for car; categories such > as date, note and sum would be stored in properties. > > http://orgmode.org/manual/Column-view.html#Column-view > > Visibility cycling works in column view so you can group and ungroup the > rows. > > [is there anyway of creating a normal Org table from a column view > "table"?] > > 2. org-babel: If you're happy with a suitable supported language, then > store the category label in a column and you can transform the master > table however you want. R would be a convenient language for working > with a table like this. > > Dan > > > > > > > Best regards, > > Johan > > > > _______________________________________________ > > Emacs-orgmode mailing list > > Please use `Reply All' to send replies to the list. > > Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org > > http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode >