* Making a variable persistent when refreshing the agenda
@ 2018-04-13 14:05 Luke
From: Luke @ 2018-04-13 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I like to be able to view a list of tasks that need to be done today,
along with warnings of any upcoming deadlines within the next few days.
The number of "deadline warning days" that I require varies from time to
time, so I have one of my agenda commands set up like so:

("d" "Daily Action List"
  ((agenda
    ""
    ((org-agenda-overriding-header "== TO BE DONE TODAY ==")
	(org-agenda-span
	 (quote day))
	(org-agenda-skip-deadline-prewarning-if-scheduled t)
	(org-agenda-sorting-strategy
	 (quote
	  (habit-up time-up todo-state-up deadline-up timestamp-up priority-down)))
	(org-deadline-warning-days
	 (string-to-number
	  (read-string "Number of warning days [0]: " nil nil "0")))))))

This allows me to interactively specify the number of "deadline warning
days" when creating the agenda. Sometimes I need to refresh the agenda
(org-agenda-redo), but this means that I need to re-enter the "Number of
warning days" each time the agenda refreshes.

What I would like to do is somehow store the value within the agenda,
and use the stored value when refreshing the agenda (rather than
re-entering it each time org-agenda-redo is called).

I know that agenda filters persist when the agenda is refreshed, so I'm
looking to do something similar with my custom value. I've experimented
with trying to set the variable as a buffer local value, but without
success.

Is this possible? If so, any ideas how?

--
Luke