* date marking with (org-diary)
@ 2008-08-15  8:45 Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-08-15  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I was recently playing around with marking org agenda items in the
calendar using (org-diary) in the diary file. I encountered a problem
already described by Wanrong Lin some time ago (see
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg05839.html).
Unfortunately no answers were given to his original request so here it
comes again:

Including agenda items into the diary with '&%%(org-diary ...' is
something I personally find pretty useless as the dates of those items
are not fontified in the calendar. Using '%%(org-diary ...' would be
fine but the entries to use (':scheduled', ':todo' aso) cannot be
limited any further. This not only leads to unacceptable delays while
calendar tries to fontify its buffer but also to a calendar with nearly
everyday marked. My intent was to mark dates with appointments only (I
have scheduled items, todos etc. nearly everyday so there's no need to
mark them). In my case this means that (org-diary) would need to
distinct between different TODO keywords. However, filtering based on
tags or date/time formats would be fine, too.

My question now is: Is there currently any way to achieve such a
filtering with (org-diary)? And if not, are there any plans to enhance
(org-diary) in that direction?

Regards,

Ulf

* Re: date marking with (org-diary)
@ 2008-09-03  9:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-09-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulf Stegemann; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Aug 15, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was recently playing around with marking org agenda items in the
> calendar using (org-diary) in the diary file. I encountered a problem
> already described by Wanrong Lin some time ago (see
> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg05839.html).
> Unfortunately no answers were given to his original request so here it
> comes again:
>
> Including agenda items into the diary with '&%%(org-diary ...' is
> something I personally find pretty useless as the dates of those items
> are not fontified in the calendar. Using '%%(org-diary ...' would be
> fine but the entries to use (':scheduled', ':todo' aso) cannot be
> limited any further. This not only leads to unacceptable delays while
> calendar tries to fontify its buffer but also to a calendar with
> nearly
> everyday marked. My intent was to mark dates with appointments only (I
> have scheduled items, todos etc. nearly everyday so there's no need to
> mark them). In my case this means that (org-diary) would need to
> distinct between different TODO keywords. However, filtering based on
> tags or date/time formats would be fine, too.
>
> My question now is: Is there currently any way to achieve such a
> filtering with (org-diary)? And if not, are there any plans to enhance
> (org-diary) in that direction?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ulf

Hi Ulf,

this is not supported yet, and I have no concrete plans to implement
this.  Marking entries in the calendar will always be unacceptably
slow, because the way the calendar/diary implements this is creating
the list of appointment for each of the 90+ days in the calendar
display.  Even with filtering, this would be slow - basically one
would have to rewrite the code in the diary.

Why don't you just use the week agenda to see which days are free?
Since version 6.05, we have the following functionality:

- Carsten

            Making use of the cursor position in the agenda

* Calling remember with the cursor date in the agenda

   If you want to use the date at the agenda cursor in a
   remember template, start remember from the agenda with the
   keys `k r'.  While the template is being filled in, the
   default date for all time stamps, and also for all
   interactive escapes like `%^t' is now the date at the cursor
   in the agenda.  The exact same command can also be used from
   the calendar if you prefer that.

* Picking a date for scheduling/deadline in the agenda

   You may now pick the date for scheduling an item or for
   setting a deadline in the agenda, where you have the best
   overview over free time slots.  This is a two step process.

   1. First you pick the entry that should be acted upon.  In
      the agenda, you use the keys `k m'.  In an org-mode file,
      this is on `C-c C-x C-k'.

   2. Then you find the agenda date you want to apply.  When the
      cursor is anywhere in the block belonging to that date,
      press `k s' to schedule, or `k d' to put a deadline.  The
      agenda is not updated immediately, press `r' if you want
      it to show the affected entry in the right place.

* Re: date marking with (org-diary)
@ 2008-09-08 15:06   ` Ulf Stegemann
From: Ulf Stegemann @ 2008-09-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten, all,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Ulf Stegemann wrote:

[...]

>> Including agenda items into the diary with '&%%(org-diary ...' is
>> something I personally find pretty useless as the dates of those items
>> are not fontified in the calendar. Using '%%(org-diary ...' would be
>> fine but the entries to use (':scheduled', ':todo' aso) cannot be
>> limited any further. This not only leads to unacceptable delays while
>> calendar tries to fontify its buffer but also to a calendar with nearly
>> everyday marked. My intent was to mark dates with appointments only (I
>> have scheduled items, todos etc. nearly everyday so there's no need to
>> mark them). In my case this means that (org-diary) would need to
>> distinct between different TODO keywords. However, filtering based on
>> tags or date/time formats would be fine, too.
>>
>> My question now is: Is there currently any way to achieve such a
>> filtering with (org-diary)? And if not, are there any plans to enhance
>> (org-diary) in that direction?

[...]

> this is not supported yet, and I have no concrete plans to implement
> this.  Marking entries in the calendar will always be unacceptably
> slow, because the way the calendar/diary implements this is creating
> the list of appointment for each of the 90+ days in the calendar
> display.  Even with filtering, this would be slow - basically one
> would have to rewrite the code in the diary.

okay, then I guess we have to live with it.

[...]

>            Making use of the cursor position in the agenda

[...]

> * Picking a date for scheduling/deadline in the agenda

Thank you for pointing this out. It's not quite what I was looking for
but nevertheless it's a good workaround. Thanks for your help.

Ulf