* footnote bugs
@ 2010-04-07  2:39 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-04-07  2:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

(setf org-footnote-auto-label 'confirm)
(setf org-footnote-section nil)

* top
*** an article
sadfkaj sdnfklaj nsfklandsf
asd flkajnd sfa
*** an article.  exporting this to ascii does not export anonymous footnotes
I sometimes[fn:3] mix regular[fn:1] footnotes and inline
[fn:: There are issues here.  For example, I have to type
them in manually.  You cannot leave empty; it won't accept
it.  Maybe it has to do with my ido setup.  Exporting this
to ASCII seems to silent fail.  I tried "fn:: text" and
"fn::text".] ones[fn:2].

===

[fn:1] ordinary.  note that if you put point here and do c-c
c-c, you will get sent to the next article, which is
disconcerting.  i expected it to go up to the thing that
points to it.  this situation, where you have duplicate
footnote numbers in the same file, but different org
entries, is very common when you refile an article.
\par
don't know how to separate paragraphs in a footnote in
a way that fill-paragraph with filladapt will understand.
would be nice if a way were possible, imo.

[fn:2] another

[fn:3] a third
# a comment
*** another article
ordinary [fn:1], inline[fn:This is a test.], and
regular[fn:2] footnotes.

===

[fn:1] regular

[fn:2] usual
*** another article
asdfj alkdfn akljdn fklajdf
askdfn al;ksjnf lajdnf klajdnf
skjdhflakjdnf klajnf [fn:1]

[fn:1] test
*** another article
asdknf lakjdnf ak
asdkjfn aldjf

Thanks.

* Re: footnote bugs
@ 2010-04-14 14:48 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-04-14 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Samuel,

On Apr 7, 2010, at 4:39 AM, Samuel Wales wrote:

> (setf org-footnote-auto-label 'confirm)
> (setf org-footnote-section nil)
>
> * top
> *** an article
> sadfkaj sdnfklaj nsfklandsf
> asd flkajnd sfa
> *** an article.  exporting this to ascii does not export anonymous
> footnotes
> I sometimes[fn:3] mix regular[fn:1] footnotes and inline
> [fn:: There are issues here.  For example, I have to type
> them in manually.  You cannot leave empty; it won't accept
> it.  Maybe it has to do with my ido setup.  Exporting this
> to ASCII seems to silent fail.  I tried "fn:: text" and
> "fn::text".] ones[fn:2].

ASCII export of anonymous footnotes works fine for me.  here is an
example for your text above:

The following text

      Some text[fn::text] with note

is exported like this:

      Some text[1] with note

      [1] text

Also, when inserting a footnote, I can eave the label empty - the
fact that this is not working for you must mean that you have some
completion setup that takes over the generic function
`completing-read'.

> ===
>
> [fn:1] ordinary.  note that if you put point here and do c-c
> c-c, you will get sent to the next article, which is
> disconcerting.  i expected it to go up to the thing that
> points to it.  this situation, where you have duplicate
> footnote numbers in the same file, but different org
> entries, is very common when you refile an article.
> \par
> don't know how to separate paragraphs in a footnote in
> a way that fill-paragraph with filladapt will understand.
> would be nice if a way were possible, imo.

I guess you can hack the paragraph... regexps to make \par
a separator.

> [fn:2] another
>
> [fn:3] a third
> # a comment
> *** another article
> ordinary [fn:1], inline[fn:This is a test.], and
> regular[fn:2] footnotes.

It is very difficult for org to find footnotes if there
are several definitions in a buffer for the same footnote label.
But I can follow you argument, so the definition is now search up
in the buffer, before looking down.

> ===
>
> [fn:1] regular
>
> [fn:2] usual
> *** another article
> asdfj alkdfn akljdn fklajdf
> askdfn al;ksjnf lajdnf klajdnf
> skjdhflakjdnf klajnf [fn:1]
>
> [fn:1] test
> *** another article
> asdknf lakjdnf ak
> asdkjfn aldjf
>

> Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: footnote bugs
@ 2010-04-14 16:26   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2010-04-14 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Thanks for reply.

By the way, for quite some time now for health reasons I have not been
able to deal with email much or contribute to org or polish my large
backlog of ideas or be detailed or do anything else.  Apologies if I
have neglected anything important.

Here is a brief response.

On 2010-04-14, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> ASCII export of anonymous footnotes works fine for me.  here is an
> example for your text above:

Works for me now.  I have to leave a space before the text, which is fine.

> Also, when inserting a footnote, I can eave the label empty - the
> fact that this is not working for you must mean that you have some
> completion setup that takes over the generic function
> `completing-read'.

Works for me now.  I just c-j to select emptiness.

A minor suggestion.  It offers me a bunch of numbers for completion of
existing footnotes.  However, typing a number is easier than choosing
it with ido, and return to select emptiness is therefore more useful.
Maybe (maybe not) it would be possible to not have completion for
footnotes, optionally.  I realize some people use text labels.

> I guess you can hack the paragraph... regexps to make \par
> a separator.

Far beyond my ability now.  But would be nice, I agree.

> But I can follow you argument, so the definition is now search up
> in the buffer, before looking down.

My guess is that that will work just fine.

On a tilting at windmills sort of note (maybe too much effort since
footnotes seem to work now, at least in these ways), I still think
that it might possibly allow for parsimonous code to replace all of
the footnote code with ID markers.  :)  If the idea is sound, then
this would allow one codebase for multiple functionalities for less
maintenance.  The syntax would look the same to the user because of
overlays.

It also would allow future features without introducing or modifying
syntax.  I have followups from long ago on this topic that I haven't
polished yet that explains further, but I think I mentioned it before.
 No reply necessary, just pointing out another windmill.  Not a
feature request!  I can't defend it now.

Thanks.

Samuel

--
Q: How many CDC "scientists" does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: "You only think it's dark." [CDC has denied a deadly disease for 25 years]