* [Orgmode] Org-mode usage and concept mapping.
@ 2006-09-10  7:15 Alex Bochannek
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Alex Bochannek @ 2006-09-10  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just finished reading through a few hundred emacs-orgmode messages
and I have to say that Org-mode changed quite a bit since the 4.12
version I have been using :-)

I find the discussions about usage and the numerous little enhancement
requests fascinating. And while Carsten tries really hard to keep
Org-mode focused, there have been many creative uses discussed on the
list and related improvements implemented.

What is the predominant use case for Org-mode by people on this list?
It seems to me that there is a fair amount of GTD, task scheduling,
and project tracking usage. Some mention of note taking and very
little of traditional outlining, it seems.

Related to outlining, I am wondering if anybody here uses graphical
tools like concept maps? I have been pretty happy with CmapTools as a
concept mapping tool and while it does allow for an outline import, I
am not sure how well the two concepts fit together.

One of the main features of concept maps, which distinguishes them
from mind maps, is the use of propositions, which consist of concepts
and linking words. Have a look at <http://cmap.ihmc.us/> for some
examples and
<http://cmap.ihmc.us/Publications/ResearchPapers/TheoryCmaps/TheoryUnderlyingConceptMaps.htm>
for a lengthy discussion of the theory behind concept mapping.

Concept maps are pretty much just directed graphs and allow for a lot
of flexibility. The basic structure of the outline format CmapTools
can import is reasonably straighforward:

Concept1
|    Link1
|        Concept2
|        |    Link2
|        |        Concept4
|        Concept3
|        |    Link3
|        |        Concept5
|        |        Concept4

etc.

Note that links can branch and connect to other concepts and that all
names have to be unique.

Is this something that would be an interesting export option for
Org-mode? How would linking words work? They are usually verbs to
build the propositions and it seems awkward to make those headlines.

Any comments, ideas, suggestions?

Alex.