On 13/10/2022 21:27, Leo Butler wrote: > > Maybe Org should not use \\ to end lines in a latex-exported table? > The fact that it has many variations argues against its use in Org, IMO. > > My suggestion is to use the TeX command \cr. Various LaTeX packages may redefine \\, so low level \cr might be not enough. Actually I do not like that \\ does not have a robust counterpart with no optional arguments. > Or, define a command in the exported latex, something like > > \newcommand{\orgcr}{\cr} It is better to make `org-latex-line-break-safe' a user option instead of a constant. For a record. Unlike \\, \newline does not have optional argument, but {\centering a\\b\par} and {\centering a\newline b\par} are not equivalent. I hope, \empty will behave better than \relax.