On 03/09/2022 15:26, Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Max Nikulin writes: >> The only problems >> is that adding entries programmatically breaks easy customization >> interface for `org-file-apps'. Currently there is the same issue with >> `org-link-parameters' that is a defcustom variables with entries added >> by various org extensions. > > We may alter the :type specifier in `org-file-apps' to something like > > :type `(repeat > (choice > ,org-file-apps-presets > ...)) > > `org-file-apps-presets' will then contain :type specs for some common > file types and the apps. The variable can be easily populated by > third-party packages as well. I mean another problem. A user adds (require 'some-package) that defines new link type. Later the user invokes easy customization interface to adjust a link unrelated to some-package. At this step links from some-package are added to user's init file. Ideally it should not happen and after removing of (require 'some-package) there should be no link types from the package in the init file at all, including customization section. From my point of view entries added to `org-link-parameters', `org-file-apps', etc. by packages should not affect entries managed through customization. >> I added the example with hope to better explain the purpose of this >> function. > > I do not think that it is needed in the `org--open-file-format-command' > docstring. If you wish, it would be better to add examples of the > arguments and return values of `org--open-file-format-command' instead > of showing `org-file-apps' examples. I have removed most parts of the example. In addition I fixed some issues with references in the docstring (man mailcap is not recognized as a link for some reason yet). I changed the function to consider trailing backslash as a format error. See the following message for my new idea concerning providing configuration for PDF viewers. Single elisp function should be more robust than 6 shell commands and it is better to add code than instructions. Max Nikulin. Re: Org mode links: Open a PDF file at a given page and highlight a given string. Sat, 3 Sep 2022 20:00:47 +0700. https://list.orgmode.org/tevj61$17d8$1@ciao.gmane.io