From: Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] C-c C-* causes "org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer modifications detected."
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 18:59:17 +0700	[thread overview]

On 21/11/2021 15:35, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> Max Nikulin writes:
>
>> C-\ russian-computer RET
>> C-*
>>
>> Latin "A" to type Cyrillic "Ф"
>
> Apparently, C-* on
>> Ф Put cursor on this line and hit =C-c C-*= to make it a heading
> and just
> are producing different buffer-chars-modified-tick/buffer-modified-tick
> signatures. I have added this kind of edit and the one from your other
> report [1] to the exception list. The commit is 28d47cfb8 (main).

Ihor, thank you for your work related to such issues. I had a hope to
thank you for the fix, but I faced a warning again in a bit modified
scenario. This time it is soft indent mode.

---- >8 ----
#+startup: indent
Do not forget to activate settings above by =C-c C-c=

* H
Try =C-c C-*= on this line
---- 8< ----

Warning (org-element-cache): org-element--cache: Unregistered buffer
modifications detected. Resetting.
If this warning appears regularly, please report it to Org mode mailing
list (M-x org-submit-bug-report).
The buffer is: new.org
  Current command: (nil 312 320)
  Chars modified: 312
  Buffer modified: 320
  Backtrace:
nil

First letter of new heading must be a capital one, though it can be
Latin. Converting top-level "H" heading by C-c C-* does not cause such
warning.

> Given the growing number of such "special" cases, I also changed to code
> to reset cache all the time but for "self-insert-command" in
> russian-computer. Just to be safe. The warning will not be shown though.
>
> [1] https://orgmode.org/list/sn5uaa$ehd$1@ciao.gmane.io

I am not an active user of main branch (I was merely hunting for another
bug), so I can not estimate performance penalty for large files due to
continuous cache resetting. I do not follow emacs-devel mail list last
weeks. Have you managed to negotiate with Eli concerning changes
required in Emacs code? I mean some followups of

#51766 29.0.50; Return value of buffer-chars-modified-tick changes when
buffer text is not yet changed before inserting a character for
non-latin input methods