* org-protocol and web links
@ 2010-04-06 16:12 Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-06 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Does anyone have a "w" template  which can  store a hot link using the
page title (not just the url) in addition to the selection under the
title line? The problem I find is that I havent got the combo right to
do this : if I select something on a conkeror page and then call
org-remember the selection becomes the %c which is usually used to store
an encoded title and url org link.

e.g I want my new org item first line to be something like the following
if I invoke org-remember from conkeror on a web page having first
hilited "blah blah" somewhere on the page

,----
| * org mode home page
|
| blah blah
`----

where "org mode home page" is actually an encoded link.

Sure, right now  I can have

,----
| * http://www.orgmode.org
|
| title : org mode home page
|
| blah blah
`----

by using %:link,%:description and %:initial but I cant see a way to
create a hotlink using the page title which is more ideal IF I also
select some text with the mouse - X automatically puts that in the
clipboard.

thanks

r.

* Re: org-protocol and web links
@ 2010-04-06 20:14 ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-04-06 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

> Does anyone have a "w" template  which can  store a hot link using the
> page title (not just the url) in addition to the selection under the
> title line? The problem I find is that I havent got the combo right to
> do this : if I select something on a conkeror page and then call
> org-remember the selection becomes the %c which is usually used to store
> an encoded title and url org link.
>
> e.g I want my new org item first line to be something like the following
> if I invoke org-remember from conkeror on a web page having first
> hilited "blah blah" somewhere on the page

With the following org-remember-template:

(setq org-remember-templates
      '(
	;; other templates here
	("protocol" ?w "* %c\n %U\n\n %i" nil bottom nil)
	))

I get the following when I select text on the org-mode home page in
conkeror and call org-protocol-remember (which I have bound to C-c r in
conkeror):

* [[http://orgmode.org/][Org-Mode: Your Life in Plain Text]]
 [2010-04-06 Tue 16:07]

 Org-mode is for keeping notes, maintaining ToDo lists, doing project
 planning, and authoring with a fast and effective plain-text system.

What do you have in your conkerorrc? I'm currently using the setup I put
up on the org-protocol page on Worg:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-protocol.php#sec-8.1

Best,
Matt

* Re: org-protocol and web links
@ 2010-04-07 11:55   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-04-07 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
>> e.g I want my new org item first line to be something like the following
>> if I invoke org-remember from conkeror on a web page having first
>> hilited "blah blah" somewhere on the page
>
> With the following org-remember-template:

> (setq org-remember-templates
>       '(
> 	;; other templates here
> 	("protocol" ?w "* %c\n %U\n\n %i" nil bottom nil)
> 	))

Heh, typo in my conkerrrc where I had used a different protocol template
selector. All sorted now. Thanks for taking the time to reply.