Matt, Thanks for your suggestions. The problem with the sparse tree is that a sparse tree will only show the headlines above the item with a deadline, it will not show the sibling headlines. For example, if I used a sparse tree on: * Fruit ** Apple *** Macintosh *** Crab DEADLINE: <2010-04-28 Wed> *** Golden delicious ** Vegetable *** lettuce *** squash *** cucumber It would look like * Fruit *** Crab DEADLINE: <2010-04-28 Wed> Buck On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote: > Buck Brody writes: > > > > Might I ask why the sparse tree search above or a simple agenda > > > view of deadlines is inadequate? The daily agenda provides a nice > > > view of all deadlines, making clear which are due today and which > > > are past due. And with a custom agenda command you can see only > > > those items that are due today: > > > > Assume I have 10 things that must be done for a specific project and > > two of them must be done today. I want to be able to know which two > > are due today, but I still want to see them in the same list as the > > other 8 items because it gives useful context. > > > > But isn't this precisely what a sparse tree does? I.e., it highlights > the relevant deadlines but preserves the context... > > I dug around in the source code and found a command (normally invoked by > org-sparse-tree) that shows all deadlines in a file within n days > (determined by a prefix argument). > > If you type... > > C-u 1 M-x org-check-deadlines > > ...org-mode will highlight all the deadlines in the buffer due today or > past due. You could bind this to a key. > > Best, > Matt >