* Org-mode todo and Lotus Notes ToDo
@ 2010-05-28 16:49 Srinivas
From: Srinivas @ 2010-05-28 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Has anyone tried to integrate Org-mode todo items with Lotus Notes ToDo items?
I am interested in at least populating from orgmode to Lotus Notes and not
necessarily looking for reverse population.

* Re: Org-mode todo and Lotus Notes ToDo
@ 2010-06-01  7:34 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-06-01  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Srinivas wrote:
>Has anyone tried to integrate Org-mode todo items with Lotus Notes
>ToDo items?  I am interested in at least populating from orgmode to
>Lotus Notes and not necessarily looking for reverse population.

I don't know if it is possible to access Lotus Notes ToDo items
directly from outside.  I suppose Lotus Notes is capable of importing
other file formats like iCal, so you could try to keep Lotus Notes up
to date with your Org todo items via exporting from Org to, say, iCal
and then importing iCal into Lotus Notes.

HTH
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: Org-mode todo and Lotus Notes ToDo
@ 2010-06-01 18:04 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-06-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivas; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Please solve this... I have to use Notes at work and would love integration
with org.

*Idea 1: Highly unlikely...*
One potential idea, though I don't think it uses ToDos is the Lotus Notes
command line utility. Are you aware of it? I haven't had good results on
Linux but it did do some basic functionality for me at one point. The newest
release hasn't worked for me yet.

Anyway, I wonder if there's a way to tap into this functionality for other
aspects of Notes; the command output could be piped to something useful for
org, though I guess you only want to go the other way?

Here it is: http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/NotesCliEmail

*Idea 2: Far more likely*
What about feeds? I've been playing around with the info here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg22964.html

I've been able to publish a feed to a .atom file and subscribe to it from
Notes. I can't quite get the description and TODO properties to register,
yet, but you at least get the headlines. Can we work on creating a format
that would work for this? I think it's a pretty cool idea and could allow
for updating org files, publishing them to a site or file (though I couldn't
get Notes to add a feed from the hard disk... probably just need the right
prefix like file:/// or so) and have Notes update the feed every so often.

Thoughts?

John

@ 2010-06-02  8:26   ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-06-02  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Srinivas

John Hendy wrote:
>Idea 2: Far more likely

>What about feeds? I've been playing around with the info here:
>http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/ msg22964.html

>I've been able to publish a feed to a .atom file and subscribe to it
>from Notes. I can't quite get the description and TODO properties to
>register, yet, but you at least get the headlines. Can we work on
>creating a format that would work for this?  I think it's a pretty
>cool idea and could allow for updating org files, publishing them to
>a site or file (though I couldn't get Notes to add a feed from the
>hard disk... probably just need the right prefix like file:/// or so)
>and have Notes update the feed every so often.

>Thoughts?

Using Atom feeds would be... awesome.  Atom indeed has the potential
to publish not just news about a web page project but things like,
say, Todo lists.

So /if/ Lotus Notes is capable of updating it's todo lists via Atom
the remaining question is: Which information must be present where in
the Atom document.  Could you take look in the Lotus Notes help (if
present) if there is any information on how to update todo lists by
Atom documents?

  -- David
--

@ 2010-06-02 16:02     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-06-02 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Srinivas

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:26 AM, David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> wrote:

> John Hendy wrote:
> >Idea 2: Far more likely
>
> >What about feeds? I've been playing around with the info here:
> >http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/ msg22964.html
>
> >I've been able to publish a feed to a .atom file and subscribe to it
> >from Notes. I can't quite get the description and TODO properties to
> >register, yet, but you at least get the headlines. Can we work on
> >creating a format that would work for this?  I think it's a pretty
> >cool idea and could allow for updating org files, publishing them to
> >a site or file
>
> >Thoughts?
>
> Using Atom feeds would be... awesome.  Atom indeed has the potential
> to publish not just news about a web page project but things like,
> say, Todo lists.

Agreed - my thoughts as well.

> So /if/ Lotus Notes is capable of updating it's todo lists via Atom
> the remaining question is: Which information must be present where in
> the Atom document.  Could you take look in the Lotus Notes help (if
> present) if there is any information on how to update todo lists by
> Atom documents?

I've been searching all kinds of things... converting todos, importing
todos, syncing todos, etc. in an effort to scrape up something of use to
this idea, but haven't really found anything. Probably stupid, but one
interesting program (I actually ran into this a ways back) is GCalDaemon
which can do all kinds of things. Here's a post on converting a feed into a
calendar entry in Mozilla Sunbird:
http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/usage3.html

Again, probably not really applicable, but interesting nonetheless.

The only thing I can think of is creating a somewhat hackish system of
titling the items in org to be exported to Atom something like 'TODO: blah
blah' so they show up in the Notes feed with that title. Then in Notes, pop
open the feed reader and go from there? It would be more of a reminder
system, but then one would need to remember to mark things as done once back
in org, and remove it from the publishing list once it was done?

Not sure where to go... quite the interesting idea, though. My company
blocks POP and IMAP so I can't get at personal email or calendar from google
via Notes. I say this because the feeds, however, *do* still work so it's
pretty cool that this feature could be a universally accessible method.

John

* Re: Org-mode todo and Lotus Notes ToDo
@ 2010-07-17 19:22       ` Stoph Long
From: Stoph Long @ 2010-07-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've been searching all kinds of things... converting todos, importing todos,
syncing todos, etc. in an effort to scrape up something of use to this idea, but
haven't really found anything. Probably stupid, but one interesting program (I
actually ran into this a ways back) is GCalDaemon which can do all kinds of
things. Here's a post on converting a feed into a calendar entry in Mozilla
Sunbird: http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/usage3.htmlAgain, probably not really
applicable, but interesting nonetheless.The only thing I can think of is
creating
a somewhat hackish system of titling the items in org to be exported to Atom
something like 'TODO: blah blah' so they show up in the Notes feed with that
title. Then in Notes, pop open the feed reader and go from there? It would be
more
of a reminder system, but then one would need to remember to mark things as done
once back in org, and remove it from the publishing list once it was done?Not
sure
where to go... quite the interesting idea, though. My company blocks POP and
IMAP
so I can't get at personal email or calendar from google via Notes. I say this
because the feeds, however, do still work so it's pretty cool that this feature
could be a universally accessible method.John

From what I've been able to gather, calling an external program from emacs
via a command line interface might be the most fluid way to synchronize with
Lotus Notes.  From what I've been able to find, Jython and notes.jar might be
the best option for non-windows folks.  Python on windows using the Lotus
Notes com  interface is also an option.

Details are here:
http://www.dominopower.com/issues/issue200008/command002

Stoph