Wow! Thanks Juan Manuel! El 07/01/2023 a las 23:22, Juan Manuel Macías escribió: > Ypo writes: > >> Hi >> >> Orgmode is sometimes desperately slow on my PC: >> >> Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz, 3100 Mhz >> >> (RAM) 4,00 GB >> >> I am running Windows 10, everything I use works OK, but Orgmode. >> >> Do you think that if I install a Linux OS, Orgmode would run fast? Any >> OS suggestion? > I've read somewhere that Emacs performance on windows tends to be slow, > but I can't assure you because the last windows I suffered was W98, and > at that time I didn't even use Emacs. According to the official GNU > Emacs website: > > #+begin_quote > > The reason for GNU Emacs's existence is to provide a powerful editor for > the GNU operating system. Versions of GNU, such as GNU/Linux, are the > primary platforms for Emacs development. > > However, GNU Emacs includes support for some other systems that > volunteers choose to support. > > [...] > > #+end_quote > > I don't know what specific performance problems you have with Emacs > under Windows, but you can post them on the Emacs-devel mailing list to > help improve Emacs performance on windows. > > However, if you are not tied to windows for work reasons or for a > specific application, my recommendation is that you migrate to > GNU/Linux. But I also recommend that you try to avoid falling into the > clutches of distro hopping, at least to begin with :-). In general, any > of the popular distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) is a good choice. > Even if you want the latest of the latest software, EndeavourOS is an > excellent derivative of Arch Linux (much better than Manjaro) with a > very simple graphical installer. Arch itself also has a graphical > installer, if you want to install it, but I would start with Endeavour. > In Linux you also have the possibility of installing light desktop > environments or window managers, which run well with the specifications > of your PC. Lxde and Lxqt are good options, they have openbox as a > window manager, which is robust and highly configurable. But if you > don't want to complicate your life, xfce is a good option. Or Plasma, > which despite being very attractive, I remember that it did not consume > too many resources. And later, if you want to come in the world of > tiling-style window managers, you have a vast territory to explore. I > was very comfortable with BSPWM for a long time, until I migrated to > EXWM (Emacs X Window Manager), which is what I've been using now for a > few years. > > Best regards, > > Juan Manuel