Hi again, Thanks for your response. > If you do C-h f org-meta-return, do you see something like "This > function has .. advice: .." towards the end of that *Help* buffer? After investigation, the bug is in org-insert-heading in org 9.6 (Latest Doom - upgraded today - uses exactly version: (9.6-??-971eb68) The documentation says: "If point is in the middle of a line, split it and create a new headline with the text in the current line after point (see org-M-RET-may-split-line on how to modify this behavior). As a special case, on a headline, splitting can only happen on the title itself. E.g., this excludes breaking stars or tags. Whatever the value(s) I put in org-M-RET-may-split-line , org-insert-heading *always* creates a new line with a empty heading/item and leaves anything that was on the initial heading/item in-place. If someone can confirm this finding, I would be happy to create the corresponding bug report. Have a nice day -- Guillaume MULLER - PhD DataScientist Saint-Étienne