On Dec 24, 2007 6:32 AM, Adam Spiers wrote: > On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 11:30:52PM +0530, Rustom Mody wrote: > > Note that this is not quite satisfactory to me because the raise-frame > > and the make-frame-visible are both redundant and insufficient. > > You lost me there. .emacs is only run at startup, after which the > window manager can do anything it wants with the positioning and > visibility of the frames - or was that your point? > > > Which is why I need the wmctrl. Which is why I need the bash -c. > > Right. I'm using -c as well. > The requirement is this: I should be able to -- with a single keystroke -- to get from any application into emacs into org mode. However make-frame-visible and raise-frame dont quite work: If emacs is iconized it gets de-iconized but if it is already one of the open windows below some other -- firefox, shell, whatever -- it *remains under that with the emacs tab blinking.* As a consequence Ive got to use the mouse (or shuffle through Alt-Tab). wmctrl does the job. But using it makes for two calls -- wmctrl and emacsclient -- and that makes for a packaging under a (inline) shell-script. > If anyone finds a way of streamlining this please post it! > > If it's the -c you don't like, you can always dump the commands in a > script. That's nice because it gives you more breathing space to do > things like error checking on the exit code of the wmctrl. > > What I dont like is having to use a shell call for some functionality that is almost certainly available under elisp.