Hi Rudolf, as to your question when to use an inline src block: I use it particularly in documents that present results from data sets. For instance, when you calculate something (e.g., an average value), you can store it in a variable =foo= (e.g., in R, python etc., just make sure you use the :session parameter) and access =foo= in an inline source block (that uses the same :session parameter). This allows you to avoid having hardcoded numbers in your documents - when the data changes, so do all the numbers in your text. As to the naming: begin_src also uses underscores, so I guess the naming scheme is fine... Hope this helps! Best regards Christian On Sun, 2022-07-03 at 21:11 +0200, Rudolf Adamkovič wrote: > Ihor Radchenko writes: > > > […]  By default, unlike ordinary src blocks, inline src blocks are > > only exported as results - code is not exported, only the result is > > exported.  […]  Further, because Org is not always able to evaluate > > src blocks (when the relevant ob-*.el is not loaded), inline src > > blocks can sometimes be exported as code. > > Dear Ihor, > > Thank you for taking the time with your reply. > > Oh, my!  I expected the exact opposite default for *inline* source, > namely show code and hide results.  But then, I noticed that these > "inline" elements do not work in tables, so I cannot use them to > syntax-highlight a table of LaTeX commands anyway.  Bummer! > > So then, when should we use these "inline blocks" in Org?  I expected > them to provide inline (nicely rendered) code anywhere, including in the > tables, like LaTeX provides in-line (nicely rendered) math everywhere. > > (I also keep wondering why the feature uses a "special" syntax with > underscores when everything else in Org uses dashes.) > > P.S. I also experimented with the src_shell some more: > > With #+PROPERTY: header-args+ :exports both, src_shell{ls} exports as > "ls".  I did not expect that.  Note that I executed a normal BEGIN_SRC > "shell" block seconds before, so Emacs must have loaded the relevant > Lisp code.  I then started 'emacs -Q' and tried again.  This time,Org > exported 'src' followed by a subscript 'shell'. > > Completely and utterly confused, > > Rudy