* automatically scheduling sequences of events
@ 2008-08-11 19:48 Peter Rayner
From: Peter Rayner @ 2008-08-11 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

I have lots of projects which have work flows but no real schedule.
So a task like
* todo write satellite paper
might have subtasks like
** todo prepare orbit simulation for Katja
** todo get results from Claire
** todo compare with David and Frederic
** todo schedule teleconference to share writing tasks
etc etc
I would probably schedule the first of these for some free time.
What I would like is that when subtask 1 (simulation for Katja) is
done that the second (wait for results) is automatically scheduled and
so appears in my agenda.  Of course the first thing I might do is
reschedule it but at least it hasn't fallen out of sight.  I suspect
the "stuck project" agenda view accomplishes  this manually but I
would be interested in automating this if it were possible.  It could
be, too, that I need to learn to spend more time outside the "agenda
view".
Any pointers welcome
regards
Peter

--
Peter Rayner: LSCE/IPSL, Laboratoire CEA-CNRS-UVSQ
address: Bat. 701 LSCE - CEA de Saclay

* Re: automatically scheduling sequences of events
@ 2008-08-12  1:39 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2008-08-12  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.rayner; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Peter Rayner <peter.rayner@lsce.ipsl.fr> writes:

> I have lots of projects which have work flows but no real schedule.
> So a task like
> * todo write satellite paper
> might have subtasks like
> ** todo prepare orbit simulation for Katja
> ** todo get results from Claire
> ** todo compare with David and Frederic
> ** todo schedule teleconference to share writing tasks
> etc etc
> I would probably schedule the first of these for some free time.
> What I would like is that when subtask 1 (simulation for Katja) is
> done that the second (wait for results) is automatically scheduled and
> so appears in my agenda.  Of course the first thing I might do is
> reschedule it but at least it hasn't fallen out of sight.  I suspect
> the "stuck project" agenda view accomplishes  this manually but I
> would be interested in automating this if it were possible.  It could
> be, too, that I need to learn to spend more time outside the "agenda
> view".
> Any pointers welcome

In cases like this I just schedule the level 1 task to the agenda and it
stays 'in my face' until all of the subitems are complete.

-Bernt

* Re: automatically scheduling sequences of events
@ 2008-08-12  3:16 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-08-12  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter.rayner; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

  On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Peter Rayner wrote:
  > I have lots of projects which have work flows but no real schedule.
  > So a task like
  > * todo write satellite paper
  > might have subtasks like
  > ** todo prepare orbit simulation for Katja
  > ** todo get results from Claire
  > ** todo compare with David and Frederic
  > ** todo schedule teleconference to share writing tasks
  > etc etc
  > I would probably schedule the first of these for some free time.
  > What I would like is that when subtask 1 (simulation for Katja) is
  > done that the second (wait for results) is automatically scheduled and
  > so appears in my agenda.  Of course the first thing I might do is
  > reschedule it but at least it hasn't fallen out of sight.  I suspect
  > the "stuck project" agenda view accomplishes  this manually but I
  > would be interested in automating this if it were possible.  It could
  > be, too, that I need to learn to spend more time outside the "agenda
  > view".
  > Any pointers welcome

Do take a look at contrib/lisp/org-depend.el.  It can switch the TODO
states but I do not think it does automatic scheduling.

-- Manish