* miscellaneous prefix keywords like "TODO"
@ 2008-04-13  2:20 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-04-13  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On the orgmode web site there's a todo page.  There are a bunch of
prefix words: TODO, IDEA, WISH, QUESTION, DECLINED, DONE

I hope I'm not asking the obvious: how can I implement that aside from a
list of alternative states?   Then have them show up in agendas?

Thank you for org-mode.  It is really helpful.  Forgive me please for
several posts.

Alan Davis

    butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
    balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
    take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
    analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
    tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
    for insects.                              ---Robert A. Heinlein

* Re: miscellaneous prefix keywords like "TODO"
@ 2008-04-13  2:50 ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2008-04-13  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan E. Davis wrote:
> On the orgmode web site there's a todo page.  There are a bunch of
> prefix words: TODO, IDEA, WISH, QUESTION, DECLINED, DONE
>
> I hope I'm not asking the obvious: how can I implement that aside from
> a list of alternative states?   Then have them show up in agendas?

Maybe I have asked the obvious.
I found a note in the org manual about this variable:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((type "Fred" "Sara" "Lucy" "|" "DONE")))

Also, I have found and installed the following in a file:

#+TYP_TODO: TODO MAYBE WAITING NEXT DONE ONGOING

How can I use both?  Does the file variable override the variable in
.emacs.el?

Perhaps I should have done more research, but I still would very much
appreciate comments.  I admit I am somewhat confused, and my
implementation is not well developed.

Thank you,

Alan

    butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
    balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
    take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
    analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
    tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
    for insects.                              ---Robert A. Heinlein

* Re: Re: miscellaneous prefix keywords like "TODO"
@ 2008-04-13  3:51   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2008-04-13  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 9:50 PM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan E. Davis wrote:
>
> > On the orgmode web site there's a todo page.  There are a bunch of prefix
> words: TODO, IDEA, WISH, QUESTION, DECLINED, DONE
> >
> > I hope I'm not asking the obvious: how can I implement that aside from a
> list of alternative states?   Then have them show up in agendas?
> >

>  Maybe I have asked the obvious.
>  I found a note in the org manual about this variable:
>
>  (setq org-todo-keywords '((type "Fred" "Sara" "Lucy" "|" "DONE")))
>

>  Also, I have found and installed the following in a file:
>
>  #+TYP_TODO: TODO MAYBE WAITING NEXT DONE ONGOING
>
>  How can I use both?  Does the file variable override the variable in
> .emacs.el?
>  Perhaps I should have done more research, but I still would very much
> appreciate comments.  I admit I am somewhat confused, and my implementation
> is not well developed.
>
>  Thank you,
>
>  Alan

First off, the manual actually is quite good.  At least I've found it
to be a good reference and good for searching (when you view the
manual as a single file).  The lisp expression sets the default.  The
'#+' line overrides for the file.  Actually, I've never really use the
lisp expression.  Since there is now the ability to have multiple
sequences of todo states, I guess I don't know if it's an override or
if it's just adding a new sequence.  I would guess it's an override
though since I do not have the TODO/DONE sequence in any of the files
where I've added the '#+' entry.

Edd

* Re: Re: miscellaneous prefix keywords like "TODO"
@ 2008-04-13  3:56   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-04-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 8:20 AM, Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@gmail.com> wrote:
> Alan E. Davis wrote:
>
> > On the orgmode web site there's a todo page.  There are a bunch of prefix
> words: TODO, IDEA, WISH, QUESTION, DECLINED, DONE
> >
> > I hope I'm not asking the obvious: how can I implement that aside from a
> list of alternative states?   Then have them show up in agendas?
> >

>  Maybe I have asked the obvious.
>  I found a note in the org manual about this variable:
>
>  (setq org-todo-keywords '((type "Fred" "Sara" "Lucy" "|" "DONE")))
>

>  Also, I have found and installed the following in a file:
>
>  #+TYP_TODO: TODO MAYBE WAITING NEXT DONE ONGOING
>
>  How can I use both?  Does the file variable override the variable in
> .emacs.el?
>  Perhaps I should have done more research, but I still would very much
> appreciate comments.  I admit I am somewhat confused, and my implementation
> is not well developed.

IMHO, you should start with tutorials page[1], get a little used to of
it (org-mode) and work out how you would like to setup, read the
manual, try, try again and then come back with problems you face in
detail.

-- Manish
1. http://orgmode.org/#sec-5.3